G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

What is the name for the 4-sided steell sign post with evenly spaced holes along each of the approximately 2" wide sides?

If I can find some for sale locally and if the price is right I may consider using them as uprights and side rails along with some "L" shape steel posts (again the proper name has sliped my mind). Figured that once the steel is erected I can attached trex or similar boards to the horizontal sides for a much nicer appearance. But before I can get started on this project I need to at least know what I'm talking about at the store. BTW, way back in my early 20s I was the sign man for the state highway mainenance dept in my county. Begain a program to replace all wooden post signs with metal (yep the 4-sided ones with holes) ones as the wooden post need to be replaced. One of my better jobs.

Thanks in advance

Joe in the former pine barrens sand hills of the now urbanized wasteland of the SC midlands.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg. Apparently "Square Post" was the correct name. A search on Google brought up numerous hits. Image search as well. Unfortunately the price is beyond reasonable. Perhaps if the price of metal goes down like gasoline I may revisit the erector approach to building a raised layout. In the meantime I will and examine other methods. Want to avoid using wood as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
If you are refering to the channel shaped framing here are a few names:
Unistruct Building System div. Tyco - Unistrut
Power Engineering Co., Inc. - Powerstruct
Thomas & Betts Corp. - Kindorf or Superstrut
Tolco/NIBCO - Tolco-strut
Mult-A-Frame Corp.
other names include Grinnell, Michigan, PHD, B-line

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
In a recent issue of Garden Railways there was an article about a very long bridge that was made from square pvc pipe. The author was from England, I believe, but I don't recall ever seeing square PVC here OR in Europe. If it is available, that may be a viable option.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Be careful with that square post, it is a bear to cut. I recently did a parking lot sign install (handicap signs) and was required to cut 10 of those posts in half. I figured I'd just use my trusty sawzall like always. With cutting oil, it took me 3 blades to get through one post, and these were new, quality blades. I called the supplier that I got them from and they recommended using a cutting torch or cut off wheel. Turns out the posts are hardened so when cars hit them they dont bend as easy. Go figure.

Here in oHIo the Freeway signs have come full circle. They are replacing the metal post that used to be wood, with wood.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
And as the price of steel continues to rise, I think they will be thinking wood is good.
I use a regular cutoff saw for signposts. An electric bench-top type in the shop; a gas hand-held type for on the road. We use more u-channel posts, though.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Speaking of cutting....A local manufacturer of furniture piece we subcontract our laser cutting to makes bed frame pieces. Do you know why those bed frames are so hard to cut? They are re-cycled Rail! Talk about work hardenend!

Chas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts