G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any bridges that are this long or longer East of the Mississippi. I sure will be glad when shad upgrades the way we post pictures. I apologize for the huge pic.
Click Here for Photo
Image converted to link due to huge filesize - Mod

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Barry,

A most impressive structure indeed. It'll be nice to see some heavy freights thundering across that bridge. Great looking model.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
East ha????? can't think of any ,,east......

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh That would be fun to crawl out to after a derailment ! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By bryanj on 08/23/2008 8:58 PM
Oh That would be fun to crawl out to after a derailment ! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif" border=0>

Marty, how long is your big bridge? and are there any other really long bridges West of the Mississippi?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Posted By lvmosher on 08/24/2008 5:22 AM
2 miles more the Atlantic Ocean

So LvMosher, The bridge is really good looking. How long and where is it?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Now , see, we need to define this.
Larry has a 3 piece bridge .
My MLS bridge is one piece 25' 8"

My Bangs Canyon bridge is a 3 piece also and is 23' long total.

who has the longest "bridge". or "bridges"?

Jens Gang has a long bridge, I forget the total length. its in sections also.

Heres a single span

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marty, Thanks for the great pictures and info on the bridges. There are so many ways to classify them. Our Vine Garden Railroad bridge supports three tracks so that is another variable to consider. Brenda and I wish we could come to your fest this year but, we will be in California until 11/1 and then will start home.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Barry it's at the home of a customer that I built the RR for.
Well Marty, the bridge sections are bolted together...not all bridges built were welded. And your arch span still has piers./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
And it is about as far East of the Mississippi as you can get without going "Down East";)

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most 1:1 steel bridges were rivited together I believe. Larry are your sections welded or bolted/rivited. Not that it really matters it is a very handsome bridge. I understand about not sharing the location of your customers.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Its a catonlever arch bridge which requires the balance of each side to work. It has two legs just like my single span shown in the photo. If I had a 3rd leg then it would be two sections.

Barry, bummer, would like to meet ya.
size doesn't matter. hehehehe

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Guys, those "pieces" are called "spans" and it doesn't matter how many spans are in the bridge, it is one bridge, period. By the way, I design real bridges for a living working for an engineering consulting firm that designs highway and railroad bridges. The first bridge pictured is interesting. If no piers are added underneith it will end up being a "Single Span Steel Thru Truss Bridge" the second bridge shown is a "Three Span Steel Thru Truss Bridge" Marty's bridge is a "Three Span Steel Arch Bridge". Depending on how it is designed and works it could be a "Three Span Steel Arch Cantilever Bridge". The fourth & fifth bridges shown are one span of a multi-span bridge. That span is a Steel Thru Truss Span.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Mr RPC
How do we know you are who you say you are?
Just joking.
I always was told what I said, thus I know no different.
Good to fill out ones profile.

PS Barry, I was just testing you to see if you knew I knew who you thought I thought you was.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Barry it's not me the customer is a very private person is all.

7/8ths is fun glad you enjoyed the pics.

Here's another one over 25ft AND East of the Mississippi and only 1/2 a mile from the Atlantic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By rpc7271 on 08/24/2008 3:36 PM
Guys, those "pieces" are called "spans" and it doesn't matter how many spans are in the bridge, it is one bridge, period. By the way, I design real bridges for a living working for an engineering consulting firm that designs highway and railroad bridges. The first bridge pictured is interesting. If no piers are added underneith it will end up being a "Single Span Steel Thru Truss Bridge" the second bridge shown is a "Three Span Steel Thru Truss Bridge" Marty's bridge is a "Three Span Steel Arch Bridge". Depending on how it is designed and works it could be a "Three Span Steel Arch Cantilever Bridge". The fourth & fifth bridges shown are one span of a multi-span bridge. That span is a Steel Thru Truss Span.

I am glad someone here has a working knowledge of the terminology. I would have said that Marty's bridge was a span and two half spans, but I can see that a span is a section of bridge between two supports, regardless of the distance or relative heights of the supports, being a span from one hillside to a pier, a span between the two piers and the third span being from the second pier to the second hillside.

But I wonder... is there a specific criteria to define a bridge "approach" as not a "span" of the bridge? Marty's bridge could (in my feeble brain) be construde as a single span from one pier to the other and the two outside portions being termed "approaches".

I guess it could be based on whatever the archetech/engineer decided to call the various portions, or who got the contract to build the various portions.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Posted By NTCGRR on 08/24/2008 3:52 PM
PS Barry, I was just testing you to see if you knew I knew who you thought I thought you was.

I know you are the guy that has the "T" shirt Tuxedo./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, this thread has brought out some great information on Bridges. It looks like Larry is building some great ones up in the North East. Marty's bridge has become one of the standards in Garden railroading and just about everyone can identify it.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I'm looking at my copy of the April 2006 GR and on page 61, the caption says that Jens Bang's High Steel Trestle is 56' long. On page 62 there is a picture of the Crooked River Bridge which doesn't say it's length, but it has has a large steam locomotive, perhaps a Mikado or Pacific dragging 10 heavyweights.

That's not to diminish the impressiveness of all of those bridges perviously posted. They are all quite a sight to behold.

Mark

1 - 20 of 42 Posts