G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had some photos to show you guys, but we lost most of our photos and other things in the great midwest flood of 1951 and then most everything else in a tornado in 1973.
Duncan: Is that a marx set you got for christmas? I got my one and only lionel set on christmas 1946 !
As for where the brakeman sat !   On the Santa Fe back when I was a kid, the rear brake-man usually sat on one side of the caboose cupalo and the conductor sat on the other side of the caboose cupolo and on the front end ( the engine or loco) the engineer usually sat on the right side of the engine looking forward the front end brake man usually sat on the left side and the fire-man usually took turns setting on the left side where the brake-man sat, when the fire-man needed to sit down.
I believe that when most roads eventually converted to oil burning boilers, most roads did away with the fireman as there was no further need to stoke wood or coal into the fire-box as the oil was injected into the fire box thru a burner system. Unfortunately later on the rear brake-man and conductor was done away with along with the caboose or waycar.
Also now that I have come across some old photos and diagrams of a 2-6-2 Prairie class locomotive, this may have been what came thru on the MKT shortline, I am trying hard to remember, but all I am sure of is the loco was not as large as a Pacific class or any of the larger main line loco's used by most roads. The MKT consists that came thru were no more than 8 to 10 cars and the line was a single track line heading north west to south, south-east and back from south, south-east  to  north-west  I am not sure where the turn around point to the south, south-east was, it may have been Fort Scott or Chanute Ks.
Here I go again, rambling on and on, sorry !

Dick (G-baby)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Dick, this is great info, I appreciate hearing about how the railroads operated! It is an era that fascinates me.

One thing though, you open a new thread (topic) every time you reply. The better way is to open up the existing thread (topic) and then click the "Add Reply" button. So everyone is in the same thread discussing the same item. Then if you have a new topic (thread) then create it as a new topic like you have been.

Keep chiming in on various topics (threads) that come up, we'd like to gain from your exposure and how things were done, there are others that have similar memories and exposure and/or actual experience, the more the better for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimtype:

Thanks for the forum lesson, as I said I am new at this forum stuff and am still learning about the computer also, so bear with me.
I have quite a few years of RR memories, good and bad. Most of the time I try to think only of the good ones.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Hey!  You've got the hang of it already:)  We look forward to hearing more.  Check out the other forums on this site and if something strikes up a memory please reply to the topic and put in your 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Dick,
Are you still a Kansan?  There are a bunch of us Jayhawkers on MKS.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
MKS Jim?? :confused:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif Actually, I wondered if Dick was from Kansas! If you're still here you need to come down to a WAGRS meeting!:)

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By pimanjc on 03/28/2008 7:00 PM

Dick,
Are you still a Kansan?  There are a bunch of us Jayhawkers on MKS.
JimC.

Where I came from, to call someone a "Jayhawker" was in invitation for a quick fist in the mouth./Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Then I moved to Iowa, where the people are known as "Hawkeyes" and one of the city high schools is Jefferson High School and the sports teams are thus known as the "J-Hawks"... Threw me for a loop that someone would brag about being one. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

Strange world we live in.  :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pimanjc:

Sorry I havent answered you sooner, honestly I wasn't ignoring you.
Yes I am still a Kansan  have been all my life except when I lived and worked in North Kansas City, MO. for awhile. I live in Emporia, Kansas and don't travel out of Emporia much as I have a few health problems that have plagued me for the last 19 odd years, so I tend to stick pretty close to my doctors and hospital. I was born and raised in Emporia and live in my childhood home with my sister.
I know I live pretty much a dull and boring life now, but unfortunately I don't have much choice as I could go into respritory arrest at any-time.
But this is not a forum about my problems, sorry I thank you for the invitation and appreciate it very much, but I will have to gracefully with respect decline.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Posted By G-baby on 03/28/2008 2:32 PM
I wish I had some photos to show you guys, but we lost most of our photos and other things in the great midwest flood of 1951 and then most everything else in a tornado in 1973.
Duncan: Is that a marx set you got for christmas? I got my one and only lionel set on christmas 1946 !

Here I go again, rambling on and on, sorry !

Dick,
I couldn't honestly tell you what the actual train was.  My parents kept an old battery powered (d-cell power) tin plate set that was mine, but it's a diesel loco, not a steamer...
Some folks have mentioned that it might have been one of Disney's first offerings,  (this was about 1956).
I *DO* remember the copper colored oil can, though...
As soon as my sister gets off of her, um, stumbling blocks and starts sorting through the family picures, I know there is one that gives more detail.  I just have to pry it loose from her clutching grasp...  (and she *KNOWS* how badly I want that one...)

Next train was an American Flyer set that my Dad built a basic 4X8 layout board for.  All hand spiked track, some sidings and switching areas, and other fun stuff...  A great gift that I don't believe I ever thanked him properly for...

As noted previously, rambling is generally allowed...  Been known to do it myself...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts