G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I am trying on a new PC ....Vista prem. tried the old web address and tried though windows explorer. I get the log in screen but I have tried [email protected] and also 1stclass.mylargescale.com. Password never changed. Neither get me to log in but just sit there waiting.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Jason

Well, since, in the infinite wisdom of the designers and their chosen implementation of the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Where they provide no access to the information (i.e FTP server 'Reply Codes') while establishing the FTP connection. Unless you wish to acquire a standalone FTP client software program. The only other thing I can suggest is using the Microsoft command-line version of the FTP client, to help isolate where your problem is or isn't.

While it may sound difficult, it really isn't. If you feel like trying it the instructions follow.

[*] The first thing that needs to be done is to open an old style MS/DOS command window, reference the above image.
[*] Click the 'Start' button.
[*] Click the 'All Programs' option at the bottom.
[*] Click the 'Accessories' folder to open it.
[*] Locate and click the 'Command Prompt' option.
[*] Next, you'll see a window similar to the following image display.
[/list][/list]

The following are the step-by-step instructions describing what you need to type into the command window to attempt an FTP connection, and what reply codes you should receive from the MLS FTP server.
  1. Type in the letters ftp and then tap the {Enter} key.
    C:\Users\Owner>ftp
  2. The command line prompt will change from whatever it was to...
    ftp>
  3. Type in the word 'open', then a space character, then '1stclass.mylargescale.com', and tap the {Enter} key.
    ftp> open 1stclass.mylargescale.com
  4. Next you should see the following reply from the MLS FTP server.
    Connected to 1stclass.mylargescale.com.
    220 mlsweb.servers.mro-net.com X2 WS_FTP Server 5.0.5 (180890539)
    User (1stclass.mylargescale.com:(none)):
  5. Since you didn't supply a User ID, the server is asking for it, so type in the following and tap the {Enter} key.
    User (1stclass.mylargescale.com:(none)): [email protected]
  6. The server should reply.
    331 Password required
    Password:
  7. You now type in your password and tap the {Enter} key (note, your password won't display).
    Password:
  8. The server should reply
    230 user logged in
    ftp>
  9. If you've gotten this far without error, you are now logged in on the MLS FTP server. To close the connection and exit the command line FTP program do the following.
  10. Type the word 'close' and tap the {Enter} key.
    ftp> close
  11. The server replies.
    221 Good-Bye
  12. Type the word 'bye' and tap the {Enter} key.
    ftp> bye
  13. The command line prompt changes back to what it was originally when you opened the command prompt window.
    C:\Users\Owner>
  14. At this point you can either type the word 'exit' and tap the {Enter} key, or simply click the close button in the upper-right of the command prompt window, to close it.
If you decide to try the above, pass or fail let us know what you encountered, and then we can take it from there.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Jason

Glad that you got things working for yourself.

However, normally I use MS/Vista Home Premium and MS/Internet Explorer v7 to do all my MLS FTP operations, so I know that that combination does work. The only gripe I've got it that the MS/GUI FTP Client doesn't provide any way to determine just at which step the process failed, just that the process failed.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts