G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Two bolster tabs on one end and none on the other is a three point stance, and is supposed to reduce rocking. This something some large train enthusiasts picked up during their days modeling in Lilliputian scales.

The MDC car bodies were durable, but the trucks were very prone failure. That is probably the reason yours now has LGB trucks.

I don’t see MDC listed on the NMRA site, so I guess they are gone. Too bad, they would have benefited with the new motive power being sold in 1/32nd scale.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jerry,

If you can find Lionel large scale trucks, you can get them to fit, using the original MDC frame and bolster bearings. I checked this out on an MDC caboose.

You will see that the Lionel trucks ( and everybody's for that matter ) have higher bolster bars than MDC's. That makes them sit a little higher---- but it is compensated for by the smaller Lionel wheels, so everything evens out. ( But you will want to use the same brand of trucks on the car--- if you try to use both Lionel and MDC types on the same car, as I did for one second, it clearly looks odd).

cheers

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Jerry,
Try midwestcompanies.us. They bought all of MDC's large scale manufacturind dies and are producing them again. Anyone looking for MDC stuff should try their site. I bought a slew of stuff to finish up a coal drag
with MDC hoppers.
Jim Shutt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts