G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this Piko freight shed for a number of years. It started inside back in the 80s and got place outside when I started my layout in 2003.

Although it is small, the doors looked about 1:20, so I decided to keep the basic structure. But, I wanted something a bit larger. I don't have a lot of depth on the siding, but it is fairly long.

I replaced the roof with two 30 inch pieces of acrylic and covered these with some cedar shingles I had. That was the tedious part. ;) The platform was built up from some double wall plastic I had and covered with redwood strips. The model was repainted with some exterior latex paint. The details were glued in place with silicone and it's ready to go.

It's a bit too messy to put it out today, so you just get the "builder's" photographs. ;)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nice job Bruce. I never really cared for the original kit as it was pretty generic but you have given it some much needed character.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Very nice indeed. It sure changed the looks and more appealing. Later RJD

G

·
Now that turned out really special! Now the guys can hide from the boss.
As for the cedar shingles I know that was tough job there.
Toad

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Really nice Bruce! Another quality structure to add to your RR :) I can't believe the difference adding that platform made.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
That is quite a nice conversion, Bruce.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Great customization. I really like the long loading platform.

Is that really a Piko kit though? Looks a lot like a Pola model to me, especially those movable windows.

I think it might be the old Pola Cripple Creek station:

Cripple Creek Station

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Matt,
That's it - Cripple Creek. I don't think I could tell the difference between Piko and Pola...though the big "Pola" on the bottom of the base should have given me a clue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts