G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Dwight,

Until a few months ago, I had been on dial-up for years and learned to live with it.

(I went from famine to feast so to speak - having now gone form 56K to 6Mbs download / 1Mbs upload service.)

I am new to MLS and having pretty much exclusively posted on Aristo's General Forum for 8 years I got use to dial-up with off-line presentations ("Vignettes") I wrote in an editor (Jarte) and implemented them via copy / paste - then previewing it before submitting.

That Forum bulletin board having been UBB, then V-Bulletin, has a picture limit of 8 pictures per post. So on some occasions I would apply up to 3 posts for it in a new thread topic.

I believe the MLS preference is to limit picture size to 640H pixels as a matter of preference as I read elsewhere by your request - probably for the reason of dial-up users, too?

Since I made use of Aristo's arrangement with LSOL to freely store pictures - having accumulated maybe 900 or so pictures thereon - those pictures were / are decimated by LSOL to 500H /V max. upon upload - so that took care of size, but I don't recall that Aristo had / has any expressed policy or mechanics limits on picture size.

To this end, I realize the mechanics is such that LSOL pictures are likely precluded for display for anywhere other than Aristo' Forums, and also, it is likely inappropriate to use them in on MLS.
Your advise is much appreciated and thank you,
-Ted

P.S.
Just so you know, Browser Firefox version 3.0.3 does not allow copy / paste material into the MLS wysiwyg editor, whereas IE version 7.0xxx does! No problem though with the "Quick reply" window.

Greg knows about this bug, too, as we discussed it today.
http://www.mylargescale.com/Communi...rumid/26/postid/54489/view/topic/Default.aspx

·
Administrator
5,728 Posts
Hi Ted and welcome to MLS!
To this end, I realize the mechanics is such that LSOL pictures are likely precluded for display for anywhere other than Aristo' Forums, and also, it is likely inappropriate to use them in on MLS.

There would be no problem on this end. However, there may be a problem on the LSOL end if a password is required to view the photos. LSOL loves to lock everything up so that only people who pay get to see/read anything. As they are in bed with Aristo, they may have it set up so that requests from Aristo's domain get passed through and are viewable on Aristo's forum. I have no idea how they have it set up.

At any rate, I suggest trying to post one of your LSOL-hosted photos in the Forum Bugs and Testing forum to see if passwords are an issue. Post the photo and ask if people can see it. You'll probably see it if you have a cookie on your machine showing you logged on to LSOL. Others without such a cookie may or may not have issues. This little test should tell you.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Ted...MLS has a Builder's Log capability under the Features pull down. That's a place where you can put your vignettes should you desire. I don't think there is a photo limit...and I don't think there is a 640H pixel limit either. Dwight would know. Glad seeing you over here.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for Builder's Log info. and your nice welcome.

As you probably know from the Aristo Forum, I would post short articles (Vignettes) from time to time and by so doing would get feedback contributions that could be used to improve the material.
So I would try to include it in the source file for future a use. To contrast, in the print media, normally articles are written and there is no way for it to be changed based on readership once published.

Sometime ago Greg E. most kindly offered to host the Vignettes (currently more than 25 and a few yet to add).
The newer versions are on his website:
http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/ted-doskaris-vignettes-mainmenu-157

It looks like the Builder's Log articles includes a comment window at the end for respondents, but I think on a one by one basis.
It seems to me that it may be better to post on one of the applicable Forums so a string of replies can be seen all at once.

This MLS site has a lot of categories to hunt down material. It will take me sometime to appreciate all that's here.

So thanks again for the good info.

-Ted

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Nice to see you over here Ted. Looking forward to your input and articles. Later RJD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts