G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Master Classes and Articles will seemingly never reappear in their proper place, I have gathered together in one place the ones I and others have saved in PDF format.

MasterClass 2001 - Build a Baldwin 8-16-D 2-6-0: A Locomotive Adventure By David Fletcher
David Fletcher's definitive first MasterClass showing how to scratchbuild an electric steam locomotive.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3a

Chapter 3b

Chapter 4a

Chapter 4b

Chapter 4c

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

MasterClass 2002 - Build a 2-6-6T / 0-6-6T Mason Bogie: An Adventure in 1:20.3 By David Fletcher
David Fletcher's second extensive MasterClass showing how to scratchbuild an electric Mason Bogie steam locomotive.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3a

Chapter 3b

Chapter 3c

Chapter 3d

Chapter 4

Chapter 5a

Chapter 5b

Chapter 6a

Chapter 6b

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

A Lasercut Steel Chassis

DIY Chassis From Styrene

Scratchbuilding a Tender Truck for Your MasterClass Mason Bogie by Jens Lasch

Drawing - Lasercut Chassis

Drawing - Tender Truck

Mini-MasterClass 2003 - Build a Carter Brothers Coach and Combine By David Fletcher

Mini-MC 2003 Article

1874 Coach Drawings

1874 Combine Drawings

1880 Coach Drawings

1880 Combine Drawings

Additional Plastic Parts for Coach

Drawing DXF Files

MLS Live Steam Class 2004 - Build A Live Steam Accucraft Ruby Kit By Tom Farin and Various Authors
Tom Farin's MasterClass based upon building and modifying Accucraft's live steam Ruby locomotive kit, supplemented with sections by various authors. Unfortunately, this class is incomplete as it was never finished.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Mini-MasterClass 2005 - "THE SINGLES" - Build a Classic American 4-2-4T Locomotive By David Fletcher
David Fletcher's Mini-Class on building the C.P. Huntington. (All drawings are contained within the downloadable zipfiles)

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

MasterClass 2007 - The Porter Bell & Co. Type C: 0-6-0 & 2-6-0 By David Fletcher
David Fletcher's Mini-Class on building a Porter Locomotive.

Chapter 1 - History

Chapter 2 - Construction

Drawings and Plans

The myLargescale.com Figure Class! By Chris Walas
Chris Walas shows you how to make your own amazingly crafted figures in any scale you happen to be modeling in.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Associated Files

Scratchbuild a Backwoods Water Tank By Dwight Ennis
Dwight Ennis shows you how to build a backwoods water tank from your own home-sawn lumber, and takes great pains to show you all the tools and techniques you'll need to scratchbuild from wood virtually any structure you can dream up. Techniques are also applicable to other models besides structures (locomotives, rolling stock, etc.) using other materials. If you've never scratchbuilt anything before, this is a great place to start.

Part I and II

Part III

Part IV

Part V

Part VI

Backwoods Water Tank Drawings

Build a Denver South Park & Pacific Waycar in 1:20.3 By Peter Bunce

Article

Drawings (5.39mb)

Scratch-build a 1:20.3 scale 29’-6” Flatcar By Wayne Spence

Complete Article - All Four Chapters

Complete Plans

The Phil Jensen Story: Delton To Hartland - Life as a Product Designer By David Fletcher

Article

·
Super Modulator
20,764 Posts
RE: MasterClasses and Articles

Thanks for all the hard work Dwight... the moderators should thank you... oh, you ARE a moderator! Damn, double duty!

Greg

(in case anyone misinterprets, that was a compliment!)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts

Dwight,

I'm getting ready to cut out my coach and combine using the DXF file from the Carter Brothers passenger cars build. Is there any scale to use or are these in metric?

Thanks

Chester Louis SA #64
Hampshire County Narrow Gauge

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts

DXF files are metric, you can check the scale bar on the drawing in your CAD system to see how it compares, and scale up to make it imperial.
David.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts

I was able to open every file I tried, except the Mason Bogie files. Can you please check them again?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts

Thanks David. It makes more sense as to why they are so large. As I am building them in 20.3 there shouldn't be any scaling necessary, correct? I'm really looking forward to building these cars and see them rolling behind my Accucraft live steam 4-4-0.

Chester Louis SA #64

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts

Yes, you should be able to cut them straight from the drawings at 1:1. I drew them in metric at full size for 1:20.3, no scaling needed. Keep a check on the scale bars inside the drawing to be sure.
Many thanks,
David.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts

Dwight --

Thanks for fixing the MB files. I was able to download all the files, except the one about scratchbuilding a tender truck. Unfortunately, that is the one I need, as I dropped mine. Can you please take yet one more look at that link?

Thank you very much. Maybe a fresh download will be the incentive I need to finally finish my MB.

Gary

·
Premium Member
213 Posts

David,

I'm in contact with a lazer cutter and he's asking about the tolerances on the lazer beam, depth, width. What should I be telling him?

Thanks

Chester Louis SA #64

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts

Hi Chester, have him cut right down the centre of the lines. Keep the cut thin. The design has 'no tolerance', in that if this were to be so perfectly cut that there was no loss of thickness in the cut, the parts would be so tight as to not to fit together when you assembled it! The intent was for some loss of material at the beam cut, so that the parts could go together more easily. Keep the beam thin, but cut dead centre of line.

He need not cut to one side to try to have the finished cut align with the edge of our line.

Hope this helps,
David.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts

David,

Yes it does. How deep should the score lines be?

Chester Louis SA #64

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts

About 1/4 thickness of meterial deep - but you may want to experiment to see what looks best.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts

Posted By David Fletcher on 12 Dec 2012 03:29 AM
{snip...}[/i] Well the links dont seem to work.
Email me directly and I'll send them.
[email protected] {snip...}[/i]
David:
The reason the links didn't work is because of the file extension (i.e. .dxf), it is not a valid file extension within the MLS software.

Chester:
If you left-click or right-click the following link then depending upon which browser you are using make use of whatever feature is available download a copy of the archive (i.e. .zip) file. So long as there have been no changes made since the original files were issued you'll have all four of the .dxf files, all that needs done is extract them from the archive file.

Carter Brother's Car - DXF Files (i.e. .zip)[/b]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts