G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling Mason-Bogie builders...

Hello all,

I've started work on completing the excellent work Doc Watson started on his Masterclass Mason Bogie.

It's slow going due to life, other projects and my getting to grips with styrene and scratch building in general, but I'm making progress :)

Can I ask those who have already built theirs, how they went about mounting the rear truck to the chassis?

At present I have a completed styrene truck kit which has a hole in the mounting turret, and the laster cut chassis (not the channelled BBT one).

My best guess at the moment is to make a packer to go between the two, to get the height right, I'm aware the thing needs to swivel too; is a bolt nipped up 'not too tight' likely to be sufficient? access to the truck mount hole from beneath is difficult as it is obstructed by the centre axle :confused:

I'm interested to hear what others have done - unless I've overlooked something (entirely possible), the notes are a bit light in this area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
mine is just held in place with a 1/4 20 uss thread bolt and and a spring to keep it in contact with the track, but it's not a master built one just one i built from pieces parts but runs great,

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Hi Darrene, Sorry I was so slow getting this posted. The short answer is the truck is screwed on to a pivot of the proper length before installing the middle axle. Here are some photos of the live steam Boggie that I built.

I don't know what is going on with this thread, the photos are all different sizes and won't stay where I put them. I am showing the rear truck built from a polystyrene kit. The side frames are screwed on so the wheels can be added after the truck is mounted on its pivot. The brass parts are the bottom of the footplate and the framework. The pivot screw is held in with LocTite. I hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts