G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps,
Its time I set up a showcase thread for the Porterclass. We're just starting to see some finished models from the class come in, and it might serve as some inspiration to others to get in and start. So far only the 1st chapter is up, outlining the construction of the Colorado Central Porters. The 2nd chapter is due later in the year, covering the Californina and Martha's Vinyard Porters.

The first Masterclass sample built was of the Martha's Vinyard Porter, which will be covered in chapter 2:

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chris Cracklow built up a version of the Colorado Central Porter prior to the class, and was a terrific inspiration.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Class Models!
Here are the models from the class members!
I began by using the Rick Raively styrene kit to assemble the CCRR Porter #7, much of this kit is now available from Bronson Tate Architecural Models, but hopely the California Porter can be available from Rick soon.
My Build log:
http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46362

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter Bunce from the UK.
Pete is building 2 models from the Porter Class, the first is the DSP&P #1 'Fairplay', as outlined in the background section of chapter 1. The general arrangement of this locomotive was historically very similar to the Porters of the CCRR, making the DSP model a viable option in the class. Peter hand painted the tender murals, while the decal work was designed by Fletch/Peter and printed by Stan Cedarleaf. Here is Pete's excellent build log:
http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46348

Pulling his Masterclass coach!

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
 Peter Bunce's 2nd Porterclass loco build.  This one based on the 1877 CCRR #2, Mogul. His earlier building log here:

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48653

This model used the Bronson Tate pilot, cab and tender kits, which help a lot!
Here is Pete's model, Dark Blue colour scheme inspired by the colours of the early Caledonian Railway in Scotland, which was also the inspiration for the dark blue used on the Schenectady 4-4-0s of the 1860s, such as Jupiter (replica at the Golden Spike memorial).

Keep building those models and lets see them finished here in the show case!!

David.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chaps,
Just updating the Finished Porter C class models,
Here is Rich Schiffman's model, completed last year. It fits so well on his logging layout.
The model was also featured in a recent issue of Finescale Railroader Annual.

David.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
David,
Thank you for bringing these beautiful models back to the group's pages, they are wonderful. That goes for the other MC models (which is an understatement name) you've brought back to life.
If you were to do a small ten wheeler (4-6-0) MC, I'd be very tempted to give it a try.

Thanks.
John

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
David, Thanks for keeping us up with the Masterclass models. It is great to see the beatiful work done by the MLS members.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
In appreciation of Fletch's efforts, I felt obligated to come out of the (builders) closet and post pix of my Porter build. I opted for the CCRR #2 circa 1880 (2-6-0, 2 steam domes, Congdon stack). I like grimy black and oxide red so that's how I painted it. I used the Bachmann Indie motor block and most of the detail parts recommended by Fletch (e.g. the Hartland pilot and box headlight). I scratch built the compressor, box light brackets, air tanks, domes, stack, tool boxes, brake cylinders, smoke box front, and other things that don't come immediately to mind. I stayed fairly close to Fletch's templates but also did some free-lancing. I used my road name and changed the number. I made the cab with real wood. I plumbed out air brakes similar to the Mason Bogie adding an air tank and cooling pipe. I wasn't fond of the 6 or 4 wheeled tenders so I did a complete scratch build with the exception of some Ozark Miniature details. It's built on a standard flat that I make. The prototype is 'mine'. I build what I like. The coal load is real coal. The rear light is a Delton that I bought on eBay. The tender includes the original sound system and an Aristo Revo. The tender wheels are wired for track power but I can switch that off and run battery as well.
I hope you enjoy it.

john

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woah, thats a really nice job John. Thanks so much for posting your work. It looks terrific. I hope you had a fine time building it too.

Many thanks,
David.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brb&l

David, I just discovered your 2002 article on Mason Bogies. I've been doing research on the Boston , Revere Beach & Lynn RR for many years, a railroad that relied almost exclusively on these engines. I collaborated with RCS on his 1980 history of this line. I'd like to chat off-line about them, as I'm trying to complete some research on the BRB&L and its predecessors in Winthrop, MA. If you can, write to me at [email protected]. I'd also like to know if you can put me in touch with Steven Conkle, who wrote the excellent article attached as an appendix to yours.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I really miss those Master Class projects. MLS lost something when they dissolved, but given the dearth of readily available base models to bash on, I doubt will ever see them again.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I agree Vic, I got here too late to join the fun.
Those classes were truly wonderful. Proven by the models above
John

·
Registered
105 Posts
My apologies but I don't know that I understand the term "kit bash". I've seen it written but I'm not sure what it means.

Thank you,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts