G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some new lights in my shop, and in one formerly dark corner there was a partially built Master Class Mason Bogie. I have decided to have another crack at finishing it. The cab, tender, tender deck, tender truck, stack and domes are done, but nothing is put together. I am using the laser cut stainless steel chassis. The backhead is the only large piece that isn't started.

I am more or less up to the point where the written instructions fall apart. The last couple of times I have tackled it, I ended up doing something, messing it up, and having to tear it all out. The latest is that I have stripped two of the wheels where the valve gear bolts on, and have to go back to almost the beginning to replace them.

My question is, is there anybody in Southern California who:
- got the whole thing together with the laser chassis, and
- remembers how they did it, and
- would be willing to let me bring the whole thing over and try to sort out where to go from here?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I do not live in SoCal but I did use the laser cut chassis to build my live steam version of the Bogie. The entire build log is at http://www.mylargescale.com/Features/BuildersLogs/tabid/66/BlogID/8/Default.aspx
If I were doing it again I would either press fit or Loctite the wheels to the axles rather than the drive pin system that I used. I would be happy to answer your questions and if you want to come to New Mexico I would be fun to work on your loco in my shop!

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Winn --

I have always wanted to visit New Mexico, but at the rate I work it wouldn't be a visit; more like moving in. I will check out your build site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts