G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I the process of attempting to build a mason bogie from a Lionel 0-6-0 gold rush engine, a LGB spreewald drive and a 3D printer made 3 axle truck and an eztec tender body. Cut a second cab and using the boiler end made the 3 window mason bogie cab also pieced the roof to the proper side, shortened the eztec tender body and lowered it also cut down the coal load to fit and added real coal to it. Added rivets using Mirce aircraft rivet set, very easy to use and lay straight even though they are of the flat style. Added height to them using gel super glue applied with a toothpick and they came out pretty good. Decided on a paint scheme and will match my present passenger cars. Have cut down the spreewald chassis and added horizontal cylinders and walschaerts valving. Just got the cowcatcher added and fitted. Next will be the decking for both the boiler and cab/tender.

·
Junior Senior Member
564 Posts
On the actual Mason Bogie, the driver wheels and the leading truck are mounted on their own subframe and pivot on a central bearing. Most of the electric ones I have seen mount the motor vertically and use its mount as the pivot for this structure.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
articulation

On the actual Mason Bogie, the driver wheels and the leading truck are mounted on their own subframe and pivot on a central bearing. Most of the electric ones I have seen mount the motor vertically and use its mount as the pivot for this structure.

Hope it helps.
Mine will as also just didn't have one of those chassis but did have a spreewald so that is what I'm using, just have to dream up a pivot for it and it will mount in the center of the upper top where the 6 holes are just above the center driver, Bill

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Moving along with the build I got the domes bases built and sent them off to the paint shop, also got the upper section of the fir box fitted and glues to the boiler along with the base for the boiler running boards fitted, the boiler has been fitted and sized and now time to turn my attention to the articulation part of the build

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Further progress on the mason bogie, boiler painted using cab light green and missed with silver over spray and the fire box I added rivets and colored both it and the smoke box with a dark gray metallic graphite. Pretty much most of the detailed fitting is done allowing a better look at the articulation suspension. which will be next along with the coloring of the running boards. Domes are done and screwed to the boiler with single 8/32 screw and leaving only the bell to be built and fitted to the top of the boiler. More to come, Bill

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moving along at a snails pace the Mason Bogie is taking shape. Finally got everything fitted, what a pain, being as I'm not a master builder I adjust as I go along. Funny after fitting 1 piece and going to another when rechecking now the first piece is off a little more readjustments and so it went, on and on but finally everything is now fitting. Next is fitting the headlight and making the bell bracket and mounting, always touch up paint and the motor chassis has to be re assembled but the tunnel is getting shorter, more as it progresses

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since last post I have got the headlight done and mounted + got the side gear in place except for the reversing bar but moving right along, ordered the Gscale graphics rail boss 4 and a charging (door way) board and still looking at mounting the batteries in the boiler, more to come, Bill

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
More progress on the Mason Bogie, got the boiler handrails done and piping for the sand dome and was done with 1/16" brass wire, reused the stanchions from the original Lionel 0-6-0 and was going to purchase 2 more to put 3 on each side but after reviewing the shipping cost I decided on 2 on each side. Received my G scale graphics R?C system and am looking forward to getting it install but first will have to make some more detail parts like the bell and the firebox but at least it is starting to look like something, more to follow.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, 2 less handrail stanchions is 2 fewer places the boiler jacketing has to be pierced, so my crew would call it good and move to the next task.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got some piping done on the boiler and finished the firebox/ash pan, also have detailed the firebox a little and finally got around to building a bracket for the bell and as soon as I locate the bell I will finish it, oh where oh where did my little bell go? more to come, Bill

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rod linkage

Bill, the beauty is in the details, and you got it. If you want, can add the rod linkage to the bell holder. Not a great pic, but gives the idea, it really does control cut off and direction. LiG
Plan on it but still working out the details got to get the motor under power to see how much the linkage moves, have a tubing to use and it is the outer sleeve of the linkage and the inner tubing I have been able to tap 2/56, which I use most, being as this is electric and really doesn't need the linkage just doing it for looks so plan on the vertical rod around elastic cord, figured it would take up slack and provide the look, thanks much for the picture, Bill, but sure would like to remember what I did with the bell, LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While still looking for the misplaced bell I have gotten most of the shifter mechanism done still in styrene white but as soon as it dries up around here it will get some paint. Left to do on it is designing the vertical lift bar that runs between the shift leaver at the top and the side drive bar on the chassis. Am considering using round cord elastic that would give with the turning and side rod movements, got to get it on the rollers and see how much everything moves, more to come, Bill

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update to the Mason Bogie bash, tested the operation of the reversing bar in relation ship to the reversing shaft at the bell housing and found very little up/down movement and very little front to rear, most of the movement comes when the engine is in a turn and that seems to more or less just flex with the turn. Not having the patience or tools necessary to machine parts for the vertical lifting bar I settled on elastic black cord and small crimp on fittings from Hobby Lobby to simulate the steel lifting rod and it seems to preform very well. The cord is stretched just enough to make it look straight and it puts up well with both side rod and turning applications. Both ends are secured with 2/56 Allen head screws which allow the grips to move freely and still looking for the bell, train show in a week might find one there. Being as the reversing shaft is free to move the shifting bar that runs from the cab interior to the long bar from the shifting shaft will be secured to the rear section of the boiler just before the cab in order to keep tension on the cord. Pleased with the out come so far and as with everything on this project it comes apart with 2/56 screws, just a lot of screws. At the moment I'm gathering parts to build a flickering fire box which I have built several and look really neat at night. So next step is getting into the wiring of headlight, smoke unit along with R/C and battery, more to come, Bill

1 - 20 of 50 Posts