G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all;

In the latest issue of Narrow Gauge Down Under there is a 4 page article by David Fletcher about his latest creation, an 0-4-4T Mason Bogie. It is absolutely stunning. If you cannot get an issue, I am pleased to send those pages electronically. I, for one, would like to have a set of plans for one of these. Take a look, you will be pleased.

·
Super Moderator
410 Posts
Thanks Rich,
This is pt1 of a Mason artile, the 2nd part is in the next issue and features the DSP black #42, the Masterclass loco. Sadly the articles these days get a fair bit of chopping, so while most of the data I wanted to say in this 0-4-4T article is still in the article, its turn of phase is just way more abrupt, with fewer examples cited than I intended - quite a bit of chopped out. The Magazine is now being ditributed by Kambake, so more and more people are getting it, and its attracting more writers (which is good), and has columnists like GR has, so there is less and less space available for the more in depth articles I once wrote. But doing articles in parts seem to work, so Pt2 will have more Mason stuff.

Since the 0-4-4T was Mason's centennial loco, he did publish a full set of plans, which were reproduced numerous times over the years in such publications as 'recent locomotives' etc back in the 1880s. Tom Farin scanned a set and has them on his 1:29 Iron Horse site, in the Mason Bogie section. The drawings are not acturate in the sense that these were drawn before the loco was actually built, and hence there are quite a few changes, not least the bell rig design, but these drawings are easily good enough to scale a good model.

in Auz the Magazine can now be found in most larger news agents.

Thanks mate,
David.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David,

Well, is there any chance of some 1/20.3 drawings available? I would like to build a simple 0-4-4T, the San Rafael of the N. Pacific Coast RR. Please?

Many thanks,

Rich Schiffman

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
David & all,
I still have a Ruby kit to modify to the Friendship Railroad's "A.W Minor" too. Eventually. I need to find that box first.

Chas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts