G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,489 Posts
Q: A few questions about the Marklin Maxi F7 AA set. Are all four trucks powered?
A: It appears that both trucks on a powered unit are powered. You could simply turn them upside down and try to turn the wheels by hand. I think they sell powered units.

Q: I see a cable that connects the AA units, does that just spread the contacts out over a longer wheelbase?
A: It appears so. I think you can download the manual from Marklin

Q: Are the bodies mostly hollow?
A: It appears so, see below.

Q: I'm not even close to ready to undertake a project right now, but how are you guys running R/C with battery and DCC?
A: there are many solutions, AirWire has an option to support standard DCC decoders, battery or track power... a dated system but still popular. Also BlueRail is an inexpensive solution that uses bluetooth and an app on your phone. There are more options.

Q: I'd love to put ESU Sound/DCC in each A unit and control the consist by radio like you would with an NCE cab throttle in HO (for instance).
A: WOAH!!! Now you want a system that works as easily and well as NCE DCC? One of the easiest and best systems? Sorry, you need a REAL DCC system, very few systems consist as easily as this. i have an NCE and a Zimo, and have also AirWire and several others.

You have to realize that DCC was designed for track power, and running it wireless DIRECTLY to the loco involves some compromises, and it can be a bit klugey, but most systems have a way to do it, just realize you are comparing an industry leader with other, less expensive, less developed systems.

If I wanted battery power and the ability to run DCC decoders, I would have to decide if I was OK with an app on a phone (BlueRail) or I wanted battery powered DCC with a real throttle.

There are other good solutions like RailPro, but personally I shy away from proprietary solutions, I have DCC stuff 20 years old that runs fine, could not say that for 90% of the proprietary solutions with limited choices.

Sorry for the long-winded response.

Greg

What combination of products are available to do that sort of thing?

·
Super Modulator
22,489 Posts
unfortunately the MTH has unprototypical pivoting pilots to accomodate toy curves.... even locked in place gaps in the front where it should not be. But this is balanced by the fact that other than concessions for toy train curves, MTH scale is almost always perfect 1:32.

If I had to use the word "model" as it is commonly defined, Mike wins, the scale representation of the MTH is superior in almost all aspects.

Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts