G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
223 Posts
Are you looking to give your C-18 working lights? I'm interested in what you get put together.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am.

For the marker lights that are included with the c-18 my plan for now is to cut out the fake lens that they painted that weird goldish silver color and then simply insert a light bulb from the bottom the light bulb may give a lens look. Unless I can find aftermarket marker lights.

· Registered
279 Posts
To set the description of those "Lights" properly....
They are "Classification Lights", not marker lights.
"Marker lights" are on the rear of trains.
Generally speaking, up until the start of the 1950-60's, locomotives on the head end of timetabled trains carried "Class Lights" to indicate: an extra train (White Lights), a second section of a timetabled train (Green Lights)
Red lights were only carried on the front of the locomotive, if as a train, it was running in reverse on the tail-end of a train.
Flags were used during the day light hours, and lights only at night.
If a train was not an extra, or second section (As per the timetable) it did not "Carry" those lit lights, or flags.
This information is provided so those that might care about prototypical railroad practices, can learn. Some Railroads may have had differing rules. And some toy train people may not care, and just enjoy noise, flashing lights, along with smoke...and whatever else they dream up. We must remember that FUN, may be the main reason for some peoples' interest in the hobby. We don't want them to worry too much of what is accurate...
FJM

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered these:

Cost me $53 including shipping. Little pricey but should be worth it and it's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks ChamaLlama!

· Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
223 Posts
Cool, I was leaning that way too. You plan on wiring them too? I want to light the headlight and number boards, but not sure the best way.

Do you have any coaches to light? I'll be installing 9volt battery boxes under my Accucraft J&S coaches and caboose with some rechargeable 9volts. I'll just mount them with the picture mounting tape so I can remove the box for daylight operation.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do plan to light the the class lights and headlight. I need to look and see if can remove the lens from the headlight housing.

I plan to light my cabooses and passenger cars using same idea you are wanting to do but I am going to incorporate a on/off switch and only remove the battery when needing to be charged. Be sure to share your light progress.

· Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Treadbe, check out Evans Designs, make micro led's and everything you would need to light them. Also carry 'all around LED's' which I used on the LS AML K4, very happy with it.
Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Toy

Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rolling Railway

The works for this one are in the equipment box on the pilot, can put button battery in the cab as I have done with others.

· Registered
279 Posts
Why are there Red lenses in the Class lights on that locomotive... ?
If the Class lights were lit, they would only have Green or White, or red lenses, but not all at once.
In fact, on most occasions they were not lighted at all....
As I have pointed out in previous notes; the lights were only on at night, and flags were used during daylight hours, if there was a reason to show colors at all.
Does anyone care about prototypical practices....
FJM

· Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Fred, sorry you find the lights on the K4 so upsetting, that is how it was made. I saw a challenge to light em up, so I did, and to add to the fun all the wiring is in tubing and I scratch built the control box that hold the button batteries and switch. So I guess the Aristocraft Mike is correct as the lights are white. Good thing you brought that up as I was going to pop them clear lenses out and put in colored ones.;)

· Registered
16 Posts
I just ordered these:

Cost me $53 including shipping. Little pricey but should be worth it and it's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks ChamaLlama!
Curious too see how they turn out. I might do the same thing with my 318.

Thomas

· Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Rio Grand, Thank You. Two of the small 1225R in parallel, so far went 5 hours, more left but start to dim a bit after that. The 'all around LED's I used in the markers are actually 2 back to back. Had I made the box just a little bigger could have used the 3V batteries that are used in the window alarms, would have lasted so much longer. Hind sight. Have no room in the cab, jammed with R/C receiver and servos.

· Registered
831 Posts
Nick PRR changed their markers around WW2 (I don't know the exact date) from the standard claw foot type which looks like a old diver's helmet into the newer cylindrical design you can see on 1361. its all part of what PRR fans call the "beauty treatment" (sic), which it wasn't really with the change of headlight and turbo position and the cast pilots.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts