G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one made a 3 or 4 pocket coupler? These would be for a shay. My idea was copper or brass sheet soldered together.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I've thought about using a stack of short pieces of rectangular brass tubing, possibly built up on the outside for extra thickness. That would ensure even spacing of the pockets, and give enough thickness to be sturdy and look right.

If you decide to build one, I'll be interested to see what you come up with, as I'll probably be doing the same soon for a locomotive I'm working on.

G

·
jimtyp,
i will tell you, WHEN it is finished.
made this, as far as it is, when i slaughtered an old PC. just to see, if it would be the right measure. (against future needs)
since then i am trying to make a form for duplicating it in plastic.
(can't get the right material here. at the moment waiting for that stuff, the dentists use, to make moulds of our teeth)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made a set of 3 pocket couplers last night using part of a brass door closer and cutting up a door strike plate.
The closer part had a u shaped cross section. Cut these about an inch long then made pocket dividers
from pieces of the strike plate. Soldering and grinding and drilling. Looks good but the idea above
with the heat sink is a great idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts