G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Märklin has made a very detailed SNCF 241A 4-8-2 locomotive in gauge 1 (DCC electric). Most Märklin gauge 1 is based on German or Swiss prototype, so this is a first. It arrived this week and I had a run this afternoon with a J&M Models Orient Express:

Regards
Fred

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks for the video Fred.
Magnificent engine the 241A and visually Marklin have done a fantastic job even though I am not convinced that the whistle sound is right, but I am not a fan of sound on electric loco's anyway.
Looks fantastic with those coaches and you can imagine it leaving la Gare Est with the Orient Express. A great addition to your extensive collection and sure to be a sought after collector's model in the future.

Pity Aster didn't do the 241A and did the 241P in live steam as I prefer the look of Est region 241A , but I can't afford the Aster 241P anyway so that's out of the question. I run only live steam with no track power so for me it would an expensive shelf queen but beautiful.
I assume this is a limited edition model from Marklin and are they still available or all sold out ?
Russell

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video Fred.

I assume this is a limited edition model from Marklin and are they still available or all sold out ?
Russell
Hello Russell,
The complete production was pre-ordered, so Märklin is out of stock. Some hobby shops might still have one.
I read on a French forum that Märklin might make a EST or ETAT version, but I do not know when.
Regards
Fred

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would doubt that Fred as the model, which is priced like a high end model (compared to similiar DB prototype locos of comparable size) yet is designed to run on very limited radius with roller wheels and flanges, cannot compare with say what Lemaco or KM1 could produce., yet is neartly as expensive. And as I wrote to the people in Göppingen the average wage in France being les than half of what it is in Germany or Switzerland, it couldn't sell in France at that price. So if they do a rerun in Est or SNCF version at that price, it just wont sell. The real one is preserved in Switzerland and in my opinion that is the market they aimed at. Most unfortunatly as the real engine is a beautiful French prototype although not very successful. They never were fitted with stokers and were considered as firemen killers. And were limited in speed because of poor frame equalisation design. They were heavy sluggers great for wartime and post war heavy trains of the SNCF.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Apparently Märklin is coming out this year with the slightly later ETAT version of these mountains in green and with the later front end, in my subjective opinion a much more sucesful esthetics than the original est version which seems a bit old fasshion to my eyes. This one features ACFI feedwater heaters and larger wind deflectors, which at least to my eyes make the locomotive look much more modern. Same price alas. They also did a reproduction of the one and only engine used on the German railways during the war that ended up on the teritory controled by the Russians (East Germany) and was incorporated into the DR with all the modifications that it got (German cabs etc). Which is incredible amount of work for an engine which only existed as a unique prortotype. but German...

·
Registered
11 Posts
SO BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing. I would love to have this on my SNCF layout...had to settle for an Armistice P8, but it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts