G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this review on youtube and found it informative and at sometimes, funny. Notice when they run the engine on rollers they don't run it in reverse. I'm guessing their sample bound. Also it is said that the "Locomotive is expertly packed to avoid damage.) Wishfull thinking. Heres the link: 

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXaXeiO_QAI[/url] 

Enjoy:D

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Josef Rieder on 02/12/2008 9:21 PM
I found this review on youtube and found it informative and at sometimes, funny. Notice when they run the engine on rollers they don't run it in reverse. I'm guessing their sample bound. Also it is said that the "Locomotive is expertly packed to avoid damage.) Wishfull thinking. Heres the link: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXaXeiO_QAI

Enjoy:D

Activating link ;)

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people have gotten damaged ones, but that's par for the course on most locos. I do like the fact that Lysol sanitized the demo by only running forwards at 200 mph. A good idea.

Seriously, it has turned out to be a great starting point after you replace the counterweights, move the wires that don't allow the 3rd driver to move up and down, bypass the transistors and put in lamps, etc.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I don't think I would like to own one that bounced up and down like the sample in the video.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Tony,

I agree.  That's what I thought, too.  It also looked to me like the valve gearing / side rods were binding at the end of the high speed run. 

Mark

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
Posted By Tom Lapointe on 02/13/2008 12:37 AM
Only 200 MPH!?! Looked more like "Warp Factor 10" to me!

Scott to bridge!!  The engines are on full reverse... and they're BUCKLING!!!  BRIDGE... !!!

Seems to me like the script was written for an idiot - "Numerous features like a bell, whistle, and pop valve"??? 
 And why the heck would they review an undec?? 

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
That video and all the comments on all the sites, the counterweights, wiring, all that gooble de goop, you've all been posting about, has really made me "NOT" want to spend that much money for something that has to be re-invented all over again after you get it and then that's not even speaking about the price paid!!!! I'll leave all you Bachmann K27 fans to yourselfs and go play with my lgb and aristocraft and usa engines!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif;)

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
After reading all the comments about this engine I think I will wait for the "new improved" version.  I had one of their 'connies' and the counter weights kept coming loose on it and the motor came loose from the gearbox among other things.  I lost a screw off the drive gear cover on the bottom and tried to get a replacement from Bachman.  All I got was an idiot on the other end of the phone.  It seems they have not learned a thing.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I'm really enjoying my K-27. I've been wanting once since Accucraft came out with theirs but couldn't afford it. The Bachmann version has amazing details even the Accucraft doesn't have at 4 times the cost. I for one enjoy the real K-27 suspension, at higher speeds it gives it the slight waddle that gave it the mudhen nickname. But it doesn't hop up and down as in the video link above , probably because it wasn't under load, at least mine doesn't. Other than the counterweight issue, which Bachmann is willing to replace including shipping both ways, everything else is really customizing. If you don't like something replace it. I've replaced the couplers with Kadees, but what loco and rolling stock don't folks do that on anyway? I've replaced the headlight, tender light and classification lights because I thought the ones provided were too yellow or too orange, but that is my opinion (I thought the Accucraft Shay was too bright). I've added DCC and Phoenix sound, because that is what I like. If Bachmann had provided DCC, then it would be a waste for those that want Battery or just DC. If they had provided sound and it wasn't Phoenix then it would have been a waste for me. Later versions may have all this for those that don't like to tinker or customize. The socket has made installation of these items a little easier, it was far from plug-n-play but I've installed DCC and sound in my Accucraft Shay and this was definitely easier. I'm using the optical chuff and it was easier than installing the magnets I did on my Shay.

G

·
Posted By Tom Lapointe on 02/13/2008 12:37 AM
Only 200 MPH!?! Looked more like "Warp Factor 10" to me! [:D" />] Tom

I think they were showing the speed needed to acheive best results for the opto sensor to operate correctly?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I saw the video, thought it was a smart way to get members. Marketing tool.
Long live diesels

G

·
Posted By NTCGRR on 02/13/2008 7:02 PM
I saw the video, thought it was a smart way to get members. Marketing tool.
Long live diesels

Yeah, everyone needs those "extra 23 pages" of K material only avail to members...nah, just look up Dave Goodson, he'll tell you all you need to know about the K..................../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

Marty see u in a few days!

cale

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Actually Cale, at higher speeds, people have reported that the chuff circuit "fails". It does not really fail, but wiring problems between the chuff circuit and the particular sound board cause this.

Bob Grosh has quite a handle on this, and I'm awaiting his publishing the information. Basically, it's difficult to get the K electrical ground to work with the electrical ground of an add-on card, and with the diodes and resistors in the chuff circuit, it basically does not react quickly at higher speeds, and the chuff sort of "goes away".

Bob is working on a solution, but it's pretty tricky. The previously reported transistor mod actually is one way to connect the ground of the K to the ground of the sound board to minimize this problem.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Maybe they should have cut the video off at the 15 second mark.   :rolleyes:
I liked the opening shots, and the prototypical look of the slots for the wheels...  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I'll stick with my Accucraft versions, thanks.

I like to buy a model that I don't have to finish off at my own expense.  I'm dreading the results of selling the thing over here in yUK, where shipping back to Bachmann UK could cost a zillion $$$$ - always supposing that they can fix it..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

BTW - it's also over $1200 here, at best.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
From a purely comparative standpoint, the fact that the wheels on the B'mann K turn that fast at full voltage would lead me to believe they've geared it incorrectly. I have no problems with locos going "a little" faster than their prototype's maximum speed, but that's ridiculous. On the other hand, it makes running the loco on batteries easier, as you only need 12 volts to get to a comfortable operating speed.

Later,

K

1 - 20 of 36 Posts