G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a combination of Aristo heavyweights and USAT streamliners for an SP San Joaquin Daylight consist for my Accucraft 1:32 Daylight. The Aristo heavyweights are a little big but pass the 6' test, however the USAT streamliners are too high and the orange stripes are higher on the sides than the Aristo heavyweights by over 3/16".

I'm considering lowering the bolsters and going with smaller diameter wheels but am stumped by axle sizes. The current USAT wheels are 1.24" diameter and I see that they have 1.13" freight wheels with their .102" axles. I would like to go with something smaller like the Gary Raymond 1.031" diameter (Part #1 33BL), but don't know either the axle diameter or axle length.

Has anyone tried lowering the USAT streamliners? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Registered
301 Posts
Alan, I remember that on some trains before 1971, it was common to see a streamlined train ( the Zephyr, for example) headed up by a pullman green RPO, or a nonconforming baggage car, that did not match the rest of the consist. This would divert attention from stripe heights if you wished to do so. Just a thought

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts