G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now getting ready to build a Low Deck Bridge and would like to know if anyone has some construction pictures of one. I have a good idea on how to make it but I would love to see others take on it. I am thinking of making one 60" long even though most I see are only 18" I like longer bridges better.

Lets hear all you input please. plan on making a few different types of bridges. I made this bridge a while ago out of oak and love how it turned out even though it has no retaining rods.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Brakeman,

Beautiful piece of work and do you plan to mount this outside or mount it on the mantle!

Sackville NS: Not far from Sackville NB where I did my degree.

Again, a piece of art.

gg

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Oak bridge was my first one I ever made and it turned out nice. I treated it with water sealer so it should be ok. As for my next one I am making it out of cedar and I plan to try a different glue but not sure what glue will hold up well in our extreme weather conditions.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I would suggest Titebond II or Titebond III outdoor carpenter's glue. I use it on all structures and have even used it as ballast adhesive. It grabs, bonds and dries quickly. I am certain that there are several other brands of similar glues, that work as well, I just have had the best luck with this stuff. I buy it at Home Depot and Lowe's.
Don

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Cedar works great outside year round. As for glue I use Elmer's PROBOND wood glue for exterior. Buildings and bridges have been outside for years. Helps if you have a nail gun to pin together when building. If using Poly glue clamp together as wood will separate while drying and cleanup runs as it will stain the wood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts