G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just composing a reply to  a  thread  and I wanted to adde some pictures.    so I  did.   I  added  5 images.     I went back to  my web space to get a  6 image and  when I returned   using the   back up arrow at the top of my screen     All my  preveous information was lost.    I had to start all over 

What am I doing wrong.? 

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By John J on 02/09/2008 8:44 PM

I was just composing a reply to  a  thread  and I wanted to adde some pictures.    so I  did.   I  added  5 images.     I went back to  my web space to get a  6 image and  when I returned   using the   back up arrow at the top of my screen     All my  preveous information was lost.    I had to start all over 

What am I doing wrong.? 

John

Based on what you've stated above, what you did wrong is moving to some other web page in the same instance of the browser. All of what you've entered in the the screen that you were on regardless of whether you were using the Quick Reply or the full-text editor, is just temporary. So, when you moved to get the last image URL you wiped everything out. I think you'd find it easier to have two instances of your browser open at the same time, and just switch back and forth between the two.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I get two instances  on my  Screen   Do I log into  MLS  twice?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
JJ:

This is a common occurence with the 'new and improved' forum software. Truly a step back from the previous forum. I've virtually given up on putting any links into a reply, and in fact wind up 'losing' what I've typed often enough that I've really limited my posted replies.

I think what Steve is suggesting is to open either a new tab or new window, and work between them, but that doesn't help with the basic problem that reply messages frequently disappear. The old Snitz forumware didn't have this problem, nor several other problems that show up.

I just pulled Firefox's latest version (2.0.0.12), so it will be interesting to see if the lost replies problem continue.

On Edit: Reply post worked this time!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
John:
What Jerry stated is exactly what I meant, in the case of MS/Internet Explorer just click the browser's icon a second time and an additional instance (window) of the browser will be opened and you can login to MLS in that one also.

In the case of FireFox you'd open an additional tab with the second instance of the browser and login to MLS on that one also.

Jerry:
Regarding the loss of what you've entered in the HTML text editor. For a short duration when we had switched from the Snitz forum software to the new ActiveForums software, Shad had enabled the Session Auto-Refresh from the server side, which caused the problem you describe, but he turned that feature back off prior to the system crash. During that period of time I too encountered loss of what I had entered if the length of time that I left something there exceeded the refresh timeout.

However, that is the only time that I've encountered loss in the HTML editor. Both in the first and now the second go-round with the ActiveForums software and I've had pending information in there for hours at a time prior to clicking the Submit button.

While I've got FireFox v2.0.0.11 installed on my system, my primary browser is MS/Internet Explorer v58.0.2800, so I'm inclined to believe that what you are experiencing comes from an incompatibility between FireFox and the JavaScript HTML editor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts