1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
There is David Meashey's "Brandywine and Gondor" railroad. See the "What's in a name" thread in the beginner's forum for a picture of his great loco.

My older boy Caleb suggested, "Cair Paravel, Beavers' Dam and West Railway," as we were Narnia fans. Never got to build it.

My Pacific is numbered 626, a reference to another movie

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

The Barad-dur Express on the Mordor Pacific, serving Barad-dur and Minas Morgul to Osgiliath

Shire Shortline, connecting the Shire with the Grey Havens harbor

Rohan Orthanc & Western, connecting Edoras, Isengard and pressing north to Bree

Gondor Central RR, along the Ithilian river, the water table route, connecting Minis Tirith with Osgiliath and west to Edorras

Mirkwood & Esgorath Logging Co RR, watch for spiders on the tracks, with mine tram service to Erebor

Moria Mining Tramway, 362 days safe without Balrok incidents!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 01/28/2009 11:23 AM

The Barad-dur Express on the Mordor Pacific, serving Barad-dur and Minas Morgul to Osgiliath

Shire Shortline, connecting the Shire with the Grey Havens harbor

Rohan Orthanc & Western, connecting Edoras, Isengard and pressing north to Bree

Gondor Central RR, along the Ithilian river, the water table route, connecting Minis Tirith with Osgiliath and west to Edorras

Mirkwood & Esgorath Logging Co RR, watch for spiders on the tracks, with mine tram service to Erebor

Moria Mining Tramway, 362 days safe without Balrok incidents!

I considered using that picture in the "What would you like to see made in Live Steam" thread!
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/11/postid/76165/view/topic/Default.aspx

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Thinking along the lines of characters as Railway employees there'd have to be some ruling with regards to Ent's working as firemen..

I'm sure there'd be no problems with tunnels as long as we had a good crew of Trolls.

I'm certain Hobbits would make great Pullman Porters (they are naturally hospitable)

Elf's? Detail oriented and always finish a job.. natural dispatchers..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys,
However, given Tolkien's proclivities, I really think that the highest level of non-magical technology that would be reached by Elves, Hobbits and Men would be a water powered mill. Only dwarves and more vefarious types would use machines.

Though Saruman might force the hobbits to be the porters on *his* line, heh, heh, heh...

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
My Dad has the skeleton of Smaug on his railroad:

Its a bit hard to tell from the photo (you can see it more clearly in person)
his head/skull is next to the locomotive..
right arm/wing is alongside the baggage car and caboose, with the claw at the end of the arm partially hidden by the baggage car..
other arm/wing extends toward the station..rest of the body and tail trails off to the left..

Also, since its the Stonehedge railroad, naturally there are some ancient druidic ruins! :)

Scot

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I recall somebody's Fire Hobbit feeding the dragon on the tender hot peppers to fire the loco by blowing into the firebox.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Ted and Cale;

Thank you for the link to Donald Nute's Laketown and Shire Railroad. It is excellent. I believe that it was conversing with Don via a thread on another site several years ago that got me interested in a Middle Earth railroad. Don was already using the cartoon image of Bilbo Baggins as part of his site at that time. The railroad has gotten even more delightful with the progressing years.

Yours,
David Meashey

1 - 20 of 20 Posts