G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Many years ago, I picked up a Milwaukee Road Bachmann Big Hauler set to run around the Christmas tree once a year. Unfortunately, in just 2 Christmas seasons of just a few hours run time, it failed with a broken gear in the drive. I sent it back to Bachmann and they repaired it with a new gear and lots of hot glue around the motor and drive. It lasted for just one season with yet another cracked gear. I put the thing away in disgust thinking I might find a way to properly repair it later when I had the time.

Now I am retired and would like to modify this to more resemble American narrow gauge engines. I visited the bachmann site and found they sell the complete drive unit for 40 bucks. I got this in the mail and was at first impressed to see the new drive and pickups. however, when i put it on the track, it jerked about. Looking inside, I eventually found the drive wheels were loose and could rotate slightly on their axles. Not good at all.
I have looked up on a few forums and found nothing to fix this problem. I was thinking of sending the unit back, but wonder what other non-working garbage they might send the next time. Bachmann's service record with me is pretty awfull right now.

So, any hints on what I can do to keep the wheels properly quartered?

And please, do not suggest that I spend the dough on a more expensive engine as I have seen on other forum responses. As a retiree on a very limited income, I have to make every dollar count and the 40 bucks I spent on that frame was it for the next couple of months at least.

Thank you in advance,
Richard

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
You probably have one of the better 5th generation replacement 'Anniversary' chassis. They had metal rods etc.
I have also noticed that the 'motor' drive wheels rotate slightly on the axle. You can pull each wheel in opposite directions slightly. It may be a part of the design within the manufacturer's specs. They all seem to be that way.
Not everything works well if too stiff, these aren't precision machines. A little lose play might help matters. It shouldn't run jerky though, the other drive wheels are driven by the rods so the quartering is important. Maybe check there is nothing binding then a good lube and running it in will help smooth things out.
I hope this helps you understand you didn't necessarily get a botchy one - It's a Bachmann!

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I had a look and thought if you can't find the problem, try listening for any ticks and clicks while running just in case there is a small molding 'extra' causing momentary resistance somewhere, perhaps in the crosshead.
You could undo the screw holding the drive rod and eccentric crank, removing them and taping up away from the works so nothing gets damaged then try running it just with the con rods still attached (perhaps pack out the long screw with some plastic tube so the rods don't laterally move on the center wheel pin). This will eliminate the valve gear. If the problem still persists try removing the con rods so the engine will run just by the rear 'motor' drive wheels to determine if the problem is in the motor gears, the other drive wheels or quartering.

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts