G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I am a reincarnated model railroader from yesteryear. Once very adept and active in the hobby, I've been away fro 25 years. Wow things have changed.

Anywho, long story short, I am interested in building a few structures to see if I still have what it takes. Once I've completed I will work towards a outdoor layout of some type.

While I'm sure my request are redundant, after days of reading this forum I can't locate some information.

Looking to see if they still make a scale lumber tool call a "chopper"? Masonite base with a single edge razor for cutting.

Good source for scale lumber and clapboard siding?

Place for figures and detail accessories?

Best paint to paint styrene buildings with today's products?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Chris

PS: past modeling has been turn of the century logging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

Thanks for all the links, GREAT stuff. I loved my chopper (lol).

Where do you guys buy clapboard? scale lumber?

Plenty online with varying prices.

-Chris

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Chris,
Welcome!

There's a lot different if you're building outside and in a larger scale.

I loved my Chopper, but most of the stuff I cut for large scale was too long for it. I modified it to handle larger lengths of wood.

A power saw is also handy, and I find I use it a lot more. I happen to have a small table saw, but others seem to love band saws.

For a lot of my building materials, I go to http://www.hobbylinc.com/

If you're building outside, you might want to look at something other than scale lumber, or at least good cedar or redwood. I get mine from Garden Texture, referenced in a previous post. Personally, I'd steer away from any plywood. You can also get lumber and kits from Smith Pond Junction at http://www.spjrr.net.

You can get plastic sheets from Precision Products that look like clapboard, or other sidings. That's what I used when I built this factory:

I've got some more details on buildings over on my web site http://www.jbrr.com/

I am a big fan of using paint made for outdoors. I use Krylon spray cans, or get a quart of outdoor latex mixed at my local paint store. I've found that the model paints like Floquil do not hold up that well outside.

There's not a lot of people available, and they're not cheap. You can make your own, as well.

The critical question is going to be what scale are you modeling? If you're still into logging, Bachmann Trains has a great selection of geared locomotives in 1:20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce,

Thanks for the welcome. First off .. thanks for all the info. Education is what I need to get in a groove. Your pictured building is amazing. I understand where your going with sticks of wood withstanding the elements. Perhaps styrene would be an option as well.

I will research the sites you've offered and build them into my first building attempt.

Thanks for the effort in my cause.

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts