G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get hold of my old mate Jerry Hyde at 740 946 6611 as well as by email at his frontier.com address. On the phone # there is a recording about calling restrictions that won't allow completion of the call and email there is no reply. This is not like Jerry, I wonder if there is anybody in the area who can check on him? unfortunately I don't knw his neighbour's name on New Rumley Road
David Morgan-Kirby
Ottawa

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I think he passed on, as my old brain recalls. Hope I'm wrong!
This was posted in the Cumming, OH obits for July 3 2013. Because Jerry lived in Jewett, OH, a nearby town I presume it is him.

Jerry Hyde, 78, of Cumming died Tuesday. Memorial service, 2 p.m. Friday, Johns Creek Baptist Church. Ingram Funeral Home & Crematory, Cumming.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Well, I was still getting emails from him in 2015 about my order for the Accucraft Selkirk, so I don't think THAT was him.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Super Modulator
20,576 Posts
an online search for him in jewett, says he "is" 78, same age, nearby town, same phone number, strange he would change his phone number if he has a business.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
David, I talked to Jerry on June 12th of this year when I told him that Kevin O'Connor and Chris Scott had passed and emailed him the video of the lost Diamondhead Steamers. So I know he was alive in June of this year. Sorry to put it this way. He is an Accucraft Dealer So May bee, Ask Channing if he has heard from him.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks
David, I talked to Jerry on June 12th of this year when I told him that Kevin O'Connor and Chris Scott had passed and emailed him the video of the lost Diamondhead Steamers. So I know he was alive in June of this year. Sorry to put it this way. He is an Accucraft Dealer So May bee, Ask Channing if he has heard from him.
Thanks Bob, I have spoken to him since then and he was his usual self. He of course lives on his own in his house way back in the woods. I'll keep digging and hope others will too. I'd drive down and check up on him but the border is still closed after 9 months now, I do not see them opening any time before next Summer baring a miracle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We STILL need someone to drive over and check up on him. Is there NOBODY on this group who lives within an hour or so of Jerry? He has done so much for the hobby the least we can do is show some concern by actually DOING something. I would drive the 500 miles down but am unable as the Canada/US border is shut tighter than a drum except for essential vehicles until who knows when.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All someone has to do is call 911 and ask them to do a welfare check. If you can come close to his name and address he can be found that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All someone has to do is call 911 and ask them to do a welfare check. If you can come close to his name and address he can be found that way. Good luck.
I deemed it a matter of concern rather than an emergency, but calling 911 in Canada for someone in Ohio would have got me nowhere at all. You will be glad to know that I was able to do a bit of sleuthing and find out today that Jerry is 'doing OK for an old man' and alive and kicking. He has problems with his phone and consequently his internet, hence no contact. Remember that what happens in the rest of the world doesn't affect Jerry too much, he generates his own electricity, draws his own water and cuts and chops his own firewood to keep himself warm. I hope to speak to him in the next few days when he can get the phone up and running again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts