G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here know of people who do G-scale in Western Massachusetts in or near the Berkshires?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
A friend of mine was trying to get a club started in the Springfield area. There is a hobby shop with G scale in West Springfield called Pioneer Valley Hobbies. Dennis, the owner is a good guy. There is also a ride-on/live steam group out there.
LAO

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
There have been Mass. folks in the Ct G Scalers. We're meeting in Canton CT Sept 14th.
Let me know if you'ld like to visit.

Harvey C.
SA1838

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd like to find a group in Western MA or Northern CT that runs (or can run with) live steam. Does the CT group you mention include any live steamers? BTW, Pioneer Valley LS club is trying to get started in G1, but I don't think they're that far along.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I'm the only steamer in the group so far. I'm the host on the Sept 14th and would love to have another steamer along.
I've two tracks. One raised bed with 7' radius and a portable track ala Dr. Tom.
Come on down and help fill up the afternoon.
Harvey C.

G

·
0 Posts
Still lookin ? 1 plus hr. from Pittsfield...schenectady ny...my pike is 12 years old...see model railroader Aug 2006

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
DOh! I thought you were looking for stores that carried G scale. Had a big old post about the Berkshire Hobby shop in Canaan, CT but you probably already know about them..

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Fr1522,
I'm in Central Massachusetts. Not to many sources here in Mass. Outside of Charlie Ro's, I haven't found anything either. Nice to hear however there might be a leed for you out in Springfield. Good luck let us know what you find.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pioneer Valley Hobbies in West Springfield carries some G scale stuff, as does Time Machine Hobbies in Manchester, CT. I did speak with Dennis (owner of PV Hobbies) about gauge 1 at the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers in Southwick. G1 appears to be the province of a very small subgroup, seems to go in fits and starts. They did have a raised track for a while, I've been told it's been taken down (or moved).

Otherwise, it's pretty sparse in Western Mass for Gauge One. I've been in contact with Don Jackson (head honcho of the Down East Steam Guild) about that group...they're mostly based in Eastern MA. See the post in the Live Steam section about a recent get-together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mr. Whittier

I plan on holding off until the Big train show in Springfield. I'm going to join the Conneticut G gaugers for the show. I took a look at your railroad and saved the bookmark. Thank you

Michael Schur

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Hudson Valley Large Scale Railroad club is for the most part based in Dover Plains,NY about an hour south of you off NYS Rte 22 in Easter Dutchess County, We run weekly weather permitting at my house, You can e-mail me at [email protected] with any questions

Pat McCarty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts