G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
 i want to start to wheather my heavyweight passenger cars but can't seem to find any color phots of them. if any of you might have some pictures of the cars and the trucks i would be greatful.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif
Thanks again,/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Nick

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Except during WWII, passenger cars were usually kept clean and tidy.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
As Torby said passenger cars were washed regularly to keep them clean. What weathering there was would be confined to what accumulated during a single trip generally. There were a few exceptions such as on some of the shortlines in the south on mixed trains but they usually only had one or two passenger cars behind a string of freight cars.

If you want to weather to enhance detail a bit then I would confine my efforts to the trucks and lower areas with a light dusting. Black trucks in the shade of the car body don't show the detail well and a bit of lightening and enhancing there can add to the look. Otherwise I would be very sparing of weathering on the passenger cars unless you're modeling a coal road with lots of smoky tunnels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, i will keep the weathering to the trucks only. i just painted and glued in over 175 people into 6 cars, thanks god the roof comes off made this much easier to do. also did some detail painting on the interior of the cars think they look pritty dam good if i say so myself..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Nick.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Posted By nick s. on 04/01/2008 3:06 PM
Thanks Guys, i will keep the weathering to the trucks only. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif" border=0>
Nick.

No, do 'em up right and make 'em dirty! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By toddalin on 04/01/2008 3:27 PM

Posted By nick s. on 04/01/2008 3:06 PM Thanks Guys, i will keep the weathering to the trucks only.
" border=0> Nick.

No, do 'em up right and make 'em dirty! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" />

Now that is an effect I can really appreciate ! Nice job !

--Ron in CC

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Posted By blackburn49 on 04/01/2008 4:06 PM
Posted By toddalin on 04/01/2008 3:27 PM

Posted By nick s. on 04/01/2008 3:06 PM Thanks Guys, i will keep the weathering to the trucks only.
" border=0> Nick.

No, do 'em up right and make 'em dirty! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" border=0>" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" />

Now that is an effect I can really appreciate ! Nice job !

--Ron in CC

Thank Mac McCalla, king of the air brush. Mac is a member of Del Oro Pacific and has many contributions to the layout. I learned how to do it at one of his clinics at the Queen Mary, but few are at Mac's level. Want to see more of his work? Follow the link.

http://4largescale.com/macs/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW i wanted weathered, that surely is weathered nice job... Who said all paasenger cars were kept clean....
NICK.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Worked for UP , very close to where they kept their passenger cars. Everytime they went out and came back they were washed. The trucks were painted about every
other time.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
As a kid, we'd drive down IL 26 and over a bridge at Polo IL. There was a long string of heavyweights sitting there decaying. I think they're gone now. Alas. I see the bridge at maps.google.com, but they don't have a very high res photo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts