G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fletch, Dwight, anybody,

As you can see, Im have been crusiing all over the Master Class archives looking for the Carter Bros coach plans, so I could "borrow" the views of the steps, which might  just fit on my proposed PCR caboose. But I ain't got nowhere. Can you tell me how to find 'em, or better yet link me up, Scotty?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

As we say in kinda stormy Maui, "Mahalo!"  I was looking for something to keep me busy and ward off the crabbies (that's crabbies, not, well, that other thing) as we are cooped up and getting cabin fever. So now I can fiddle with all those pdf images (must be a hundred!). As luck or the Lord's intervention would have it, I arbitrarily clicked on 1880-CB-11.pdf just to see where I was. Lo and behold, it's the end steps! Maybe I should buy a Lotto ticket. Anyway, thanks.

BTW, I left my Riders Crossing store project back in California, as I didn't want to ship everything I own (tools, plastic, etc) to Hawaii for a few weeks. Now I am sorry, because so far it has been a windy, chilly January. Maybe next week...:)

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russ, yes they did. In fact the little box was here when we arrived. However, because I was so rushed, I decided not to pack up Rider's Crossing (as stated) and so I have nothing to work on. I thought about bringing the glue back to the mainland, but that would mean trying to put it in check baggage, which we have none. And you know what carry-on is like. In fact, when I was in Germany testing the Porsche 911GT2, I lost a perfectly good (and free) bottle of wine because it didn't click in that I couldn't carry it on an airplane. The last thing the German security guard (their TSA) said was, "You see ze label on zis vine? Vell take a good look, it is the last time you vill zee it." Then he dumped it into a trash can. Anyway, the glue stays until May, at which time I'll bring a project. Or I could go to the plastics store in Kahului, buy some styrene and throw something together. BTW, what's the shelf life on that stuff?

K, generally speaking, that saying is true. But this is one of those exceptions the travel industry doesn't mention. Today was in the mid-60s, but at dinner the sun came out, so tomorrow may be better. At least it is very green and the ocean is striking. Oh yeah, and the Sugar Cane Train across the street is now running five times a day. If you tell me how to post it I can send a streaming (or is it "steaming?") video.:D

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K, Having re-read your post, all I can say is, "OK, smart guy!." O in the words of Gilda Radnor, "Oh Todd, you're so funny I forgot to laugh." /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Joe,

I'm a bit ahead of you here. I printed all the PDFs (don't forget that many need multiple copies to account for two sides etc.). I found that my printer needed the scale setting to be 101% to match the size.

I am cutting by hand with the trusty jewellers saw and Stanley knife to cut into corners and to score and snap (blatent endosrsment: I have tried ALL the available alternate brand blades for Stanley knives and they all lose their point within three, yes 3, cuts, except the Stanley brand. I lost the point on a Stanley blade at the ninth cut because I did something stupid!

After I built the sides and ends of the combine and then tried to fit them to the base, I found that I had an error of minus 2mm in the length of the sides (both sides the same size so no obvious error) so check all your printouts after you paste them together.

I could not get styrene sheets of the full length so had to stagger joints of shorter lengths on all the multiple layer sides and base for strength.

My LHS (also known as "The Train Shop" actually Junction Models, South Australia (thanks Brian)) buys full 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of styrene from 0.5mm to 3.0mm, cuts them to 2 foot x 2 foot pieces and sells them to us at reasonable prices. Since I showed him photos of my combine, Brian is cutting me double length pieces to build two coaches and a full baggage.

As soon as I figure out the new photo posting I shall put up a builders log as I have documented some of this build and am documenting from now on.

Also I am scratching original Carter Bros. trucks to go under these, photos also to follow, I got one truck done but the "honey do's" have me out for the next week and a half - long enough to lose momentum.

Keep it up Joe

Tim

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim, that is some great info. Thanks, mate! Alas, I will have to wait until we get back to LA where all my stuff is. In the meantime, I have been going through the MicroMark catalog seeing what I need to buy to equip--in a basic way--my work shop away from home. No power tools, but saws, knives, Choppers, a cutting mat--stuff like that. I have shipped things over here (Maui) in the past, but it gets to be a drag and is pricey, if you send it by any service that is expected to arrive within a few days.

BTW, and off topic, a former co-worker of mine married and Aussie and last year moved back there with him--to/near Adelaide, I believe. Nice country ya got there, based on the few days I spent there about 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Tim, 

For cutting try a 'skrawker' or an Olfa cutter - see photo they may have a different name

The Olfa cutter uses the end of the hook and it lasts and lasts; there is a supplioed sewt of spare blades in the handle.   You will of course have to remove the raised 'nib' from the edges of the cut!

For straight cuts a good small circular saw is also useful, though expensive I admit.

Once you have made a groove as a starter than cut it deeper with this - that will save your blades, andother tool is the heavy 'snap off' blade type knife that Dave Fletcher uses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts