G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around the different forums trying to find something that would lead me to a gearbox manufacturer/distributor, but so far no luck.

I am wanting to repower a PSC 1/2 scale K-27. The original gearbox is not in good shape and the axle gear is totally worn out. So far, the only companies I've found are NWSL and PSC and neither of their gearboxes seem appropriate for this model.

I would like something in the 25:1 range, give or take a little with an output gear either bored to 7mm or capable of being bored to that diameter to fit the axles of the model.

If anyone has "any" leads to a gearbox that might work, please let me know. I've been searching the web for almost two weeks with no luck. I know there has to be some out there somewhere. But where?

Thanks . . . . Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve - I have been to the sdp-si website a number of times. They do have the u-joints I will be needing, and a lot of great usable parts, but I can find nothing in the way of usable gearboxes. I appreciate your help. . . . Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jerry - I will see if I can locate Dave's article in the files. It might guide me to something I could use. Or, maybe Dave has some ideas. Thanks . . . Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rodney . . . You must have ESP. Just as notification of your message came through cyberspace, I was writing a message to Barry with some additional data and photos. It seems he does indeed have something new that would work well for my application. It is some of the best news I've hear in some time. Keep that ESP working. I might need it again sometime. Kindest regards from Stillwater, OK . . . Ken

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Ken,
If you don't here from him right away, he may be in Portland for the NNGC.
I have a set of DRGW erection drawing of the C-19. This winter I will be trying to make 2 of theses in 20.3 with Berry's drivers and gearbox.
I do have a Bridgeport mill, 14X54 Clausing lathe and a Grizzly mill drill to do all my machining to make them.
I never seen any of his work of art, but all information I've read and seen, they are the best in the LS industry.
I have a Berlyn K-37, K-36, Accucraft K-28, which I think the gearboxs are OK, but I like the double worm that Berry uses. I also have a Bachman connie I have not ran cause I haven't converted to battery and airwire yet. Will be getting a Bachman K-27 next week.

Rodney

How did you fair with all the rain??? We had about 10 inches over the last few days. No real damage though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rodney - I have made contact with Barry and have provided him with some data and photos on my motor and the locomotive where it is to be installed. At this point, Barry's gearbox looks to be just what I'm looking for.
Can you provide a source for the C-19 erecton drawing. That could very easily be on my adgenda in the near future. I would also like to have a set of erection drawings for the C-21.
You are quite fortunate to have the mill and lathe and the ability to use them. I wish now it is something I would have invested in many years ago.
Not much rain here. Certainly not like was predicted.
I hope you have a great week . . . . Ken

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Don't know what they have now, but several years ago when I visited the RR Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin, they had a steam locomotive that had this funny Diseasel /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif sound comming from the tender... so there is a "prototype" available to model! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Andrew - I didn't see anything on their website that would fit this particular installation, but oh my goodness they do have some nice products and materials. THANKS EVER SO MUCH for putting me on to it. I have it in my favorites files now. - Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Marc . . . . Can you give me a little more information on The Gear Box ,i.e. address, phone number, etc. I didn't find anything with a live search. . . . . Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts