G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another "is there a club around here?" thread.

I live in Salisbury, NC, about half way between Charlotte and Greensboro. For all of our railroad history, and having an excellent hobby shop (The Little Choo Choo Shop in Spencer), there seems to be a total lack of model RR clubs in the area, in any scale. There's one in Greensboro and a round robin group in Concord, both in HO, but I haven't heard of anything in large scale. Is it a well kept secret, or non-existant?

Also, every time I make the run to Raleigh, I see a nice large scale layout in a park in Gibsonville, NC, but I haven't seen anyone out there running on it in years. I assume it's still active, as the decorations change with the season. Does anybody kow anything about the layout, who maintains it, who operates it, etc.?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Hi, Ken.

The layout in Gibsonville goes with Bobby's Trains (Bobby's Hobbies) located a few blocks away ... he has a rig with a garden tractor and a few trailers full of plastic racks that he uses to move the trains down there when he's running. Rumor is if you buy something from him, he'll let you run there if you want to.... but I've never tested that. The store is primarily Aristo and USA Trains, as I recall.

Dry Bridge Station in Mt Airy has a club layout in the basement ... one side is HO and the other is a modular G layout that I believe used to travel but does not anymore .... he sells Aristo, and used to sell LGB ... I think he has some USA, and he sells a lot of MTH. Guy who runs the place is Mike ... he's a great guy. (You'll see my YVRR GP-10 in the window, incidentally.)

There's a 1/8 scale layout at the old drag strip in Clemmons ... or so I hear. They were in the paper awhile back, too.

And of course the Slate Creek in Rural Hall, but I'm hardly a club!

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Ken, Not much large scale around here, even less live steam. Nearest guys I know running live steam are almost 2 hours away, one east and one west. You are about an hour north, but you would need battery to run on my track, and not very interesting as it is just an elevated track. 250 ft double track main, with a couple cross overs, a 70 ft passing siding and a 100 ft long dead leg siding.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
There is a club. I believe it is called the Peidmont GRR. Or some such thing. I will try to find the proper name for you. You can also look in the back of any issue of Garden Railways. It is listed.

There is a place to run an hour south of me (Raleigh). I hear there is a place two hours west of me, but that guy never calls me anymore. Guess I ticked him off!

John

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
John, we will have to try again after DH/CF, after you guys thaw out from your visit to the frozen north (I saw a forecast calling for a HIGH in the mid teens up in York) I'm heading south to warmer weather!
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts