G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK people, I have read quite a few reviews on the 2 lens I am looking at anf was wondering if anyone has them on here? I am deciding on the Canon 70-200 2.8L or the Sigma 70-200 2.8  Now both have great low light capabilities but from that I have read the Canon os sharper and focuses better in lower light. I currently own the 24-70 2.8L from Canon and am very pleased with it. let me know your thought if anyone has somethign similar to what I am looking for. OOO Yea the price difference is half. Canon is double the Sigma almost. 700 vs  1200 or so...I dont plan to get the IS version although I do know od a used one for 1450.00 they sell for 1700.00

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hi Kovacir,
 I use Nicon myself but B and H in New York has a used 1200 Cannon for sell. It's a mear $99,000 /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gifbucks. and something less than 20 of them in the world./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Sorry just couldn't resist it. The specks on it are something. you can shoot over a mile with it.
good luck hope you find what you need.
Roland
Oh, it comes with its own hard case, whole thing weigh in at around 80 some pounds/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif, so you will also need the heaviest duty try pod you can find./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jason,
The Sigma is a good lens, the Canon is a GREAT lens. It is well worth the extra money . The IS lens is also well worth the price. If you can afford it you won't be disappointed.

George

·
Registered
170 Posts
I will agree with George here. The Canon lens is superior. Sigmas are ok ( I own several), but the autofocus drive in the Canon is smoother, quieter and quicker (does much less hunting for focus), and optically the Canon will generally do better, especially at wide open apertures. Holds its resale value too, which Sigmas do not. Stabilization is nice if you are not too hard on lenses, but if you're a brute, you might be better without it. Photogs that can expense out their gear can deal with it if they break it, consumers take a hit. If you're a pussycat with your gear, the IS should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I currently have the 24-70 2.8L and it is def worth it...I have the 70-300 Sigma 3.5-5.6 but am unhappy with the low light photos and the slow forusing compared to my 24-70. I think I will have to get the used one but it is the IS version which I was not going to get but with the longer range it WILL be handy....

As for brakeage I have a rider policy on all my stuff body and lens through State Farm. It is abotu 50.00 a year and covers up to 5,000. Theft, breakage and repair with 0.00 deductible. I have not used it yet but it is worth the 50.00 a year in case.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is big difference between a 2.8 aperture lens at 200mm then at 5.6. For one, there's an awful lot more glass (necessary to get down to 2.8) The reason Canon (and Sigma in the "pro" line set their zoom range at 70-200 (not 300)), is because, for high end performance at 2.8, the physics of light and glass give unacceptable levels of spherical aberration and distortion at more than 200mm, that can't be removed by the current range of coatings and glass types, at least without making the lens very big, heavy and expensive. To achieve the biggerf-stop opening, only the centre of the lens group can be used - the further you go out the more aberration and distortion occurs.
I own a Sigma 70-300 like you do (it has autofocus drive issues) and I had a 70-200L (sold it for more than I paid!!! as Canon is not my prime camera line), and hands down the Canon was a superior lens. That zoom is the most respected professional lens in the Canon line. A close runner-up is the 35-350, but its not optically anywhere near the 70-200. I envy you guys in the States - that lens is about $2200 if bought in Canada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts