G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Was out driving around on the bike today and down the street from me is a old CSX siding that hasnt been used in 20 years, to my surprise this was parked there this morning. what is it never seen anything like it before any suggestions..
Nick..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like an old low profile TTX flat modified with an A frame to carry panelized turnouts. Snap track to go.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I wonder what the handwheel is used for. The shaft with the chain looks like it is meant to operate something other than the brake.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i've seen tractor trailers with trailers like that, they carry pre fab concrete walls. The crank on those trailers is to adjust the height/clamp down the walls.
Terry

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
It looks like a plate steel car for the kind of steel plate that is delivered to shipyards. I would think it carried pairs of plate...paired on each side to balance the load. I agree with Terry that the chain arrangement is an adjustable heavy duty cinch for the load.

Plate steel for hulls can be quite thick in certain areas of the hull...like 3" thick..ergo heavy. If you want to move 3" steel, you'd have to ship small pieces via truck (weight limited) or width restricted pieces if you laid them on a flat car. Standing them up should mean that wider plates can be shipped.

Since steel plate now being laser cut and computer welded in the shipyards on HUGE computer operated welding jigs, it makes a lot of economic sense to deliver the largest plates possible to the ship yards. Note that the car appears to be able to deliver a 70' long plate. That long length would save a lot of welding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts