G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest car/locomotive you have heard of?
The longest i can think of off the top of my head is some of the heavy weight passenger cars at something like 2 1/5 feet.

Scott

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The USA Big Boy is about 57 inches long (almost 5 feet!). Aristo heavyweight and smoothside passenger cars are both about 31 inches. The USA aluminum passenger cars are a couple of inches longer. All of the Aristo 6 axle diesels (SD45, Dash 9 and E-8) run about 30 inches.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
What is the minimum radius that the 5' USA Bigboy can take lol. I am just curious and couldnt find this information on the web.

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The Min radius of the Accurcraft Big Boy is 10'.  Seeing as the USA is a bit bigger, I'd guess 12' is safe, though that is the size loco you'd want to see rounding a 40' curve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah thanks for the replies. 5 feet is very long.

My next question would be, what has the longest rigid wheelbase you can think of? For example, my bachmann big hauler has a rigid wheel base of about 6 inches.
THe questions at this point are mearly for my own curiosity.:rolleyes:

Scott

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
My B&O "big 6" (2-10-2) ought to be a candidate for that with about a 9" wheelbase... 
Of course with the lateral axle motion of these things, there isn't really any such thing 
as a "rigid" frame anyway...
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Hey, where did that D&RG tender come from?? thought old El Goby was strictly a CP-SP fiasco
that had a very short life due to its short-comings... hehe
Paul R...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts