G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man Oh Man have I made some progress.. what a difference a day makes. I'm suprised at how much I accomplished yesterday.. At 8:30 am I had nothing done, by 4:00 I had this.

I am thrilled..
Just a few last things to do in the morning with the benchwork, then I can start putting down roadbed and track.. I'll be running by Monday!! Yeah.

I can't thank Richard Smith enough. This raised benchwork is the cat's pajamas.

Here's a few other peeks at the day's work.

Oh, please ignore the ratty looking yard, I'm planning on some major relandscaping once the train is up and running.

·
Registered
934 Posts
RE: Lone Peak & Western benchwork update..

So..does the benchwork connect to make a circle? What of the space in the middle?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes, It will form a circle. The middle section is our vegetable garden. That big clump of green you see in the middle there a a huge basil plant.

Tomorrows project will be to build out a short section of benchwork on the left, leaving about a three foot gap. Then I need to construct a lift out bridge section to
A) add visiual intrest to the line
and
B) allow egress into the middle of the garden.

Should be an challenging and interesting day.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts

Your back and knees will thank you for years , nice looking benchwork , how tall did you make it ?

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Dennis Paulson on 05/25/2008 12:04 PM

Your back and knees will thank you for years , nice looking benchwork . . . /div>
Agreed. Nice start to a compact garden railway. Don't neglect to make provisions for the Lone Peak peak. It has to be out there somewhere

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Oh no worries there Ron. As the two photos below should illustrate, I have the real deal about 6 miles to my east, all 12,975 feet of it..

I also marked in the photos the fully expanded line (red lines). The plan is to have the expansion completed by the end of June. It'll be workable, but not fully sceniced or planted, but runnable. I'll post some more "photoshopped" shots later to better illustrate the proposed route.
But as far as Lone Peak is concerned.... I can't top the the real thing.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

Nice work!! I wish I could make as good of progress in a day as you have, very nice!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Today's update...
Lots to report. I have completed the phase one loop structure! Yeah! This morning I built out the last little bit of the benchwork. In the afternoon I constructhed the lift out bridge. Another hour and I had the support and alignment cleats in place for the bridge. The completed loop structure look like this..

Yeah me!
My bridge section is currently built for function. It roughly resembles a plate girder bridge, but it's there for functionality right now. I'll work on building another to really look good later this summer once the rest of the construction is complete. Here's the bridge.

Construction continues tomorrow, I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Hi Dave,
That's looking good.
What are you going to use for roadbed?
Are you going to cover the benchwork with hardware cloth and ground cloth
as per Richard Smith?

Some real progress there, keep up the good work.
Rick Marty

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes Rick, Richard is Da Man. I'll be using the hardware cloth/landscape fabric technique.

Roadbed wise I'll have a few "anchor points" (the abutments to the bridge in particular) like under switches, but I'm leaning towarsd a "floating" track with ballast. I'll get the deck infilled with soil, get it compacted, then set the track on top asnd ballast. If that doesn't work. I'll move the dirt over and most likely use PT outdoor wood for roadbed.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Dave F on 05/25/2008 3:17 PM

Oh no worries there Ron. As the two photos below should illustrate, I have the real deal about 6 miles to my east, all 12,975 feet of it..

That works! I have a similar situation. Can't possibly beat having a part of the Wrangell Range in view of the LS model RR!  I could not imagine you having that name "Lone Peak" in your RR without having the actual Lone Peak in view somewhere

Mt. Wrangell at 14,000 ft-plus

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Hi Dave,
If your going to load that table work up with dirt and ballast you might want to
consider adding a few, actually quite a few, more cross braces in both directions.
Even an inch and a half of soil/gravel/ballast will cause the hardware cloth to sag
a lot.

Just a thought.
Rick Marty

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Rain, rain, go away...

I awoke at three this morning to the unmistakable sound of thunder and rain on the roof. I did manage to get about ten feet of hardware cloth/landscape fabric down between cloudbursts today, but right now it's pouring again and I'm shut down for the day. RATS!

Hopefully I'll catch a break in the weather this week and can complet this section.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So, things are progressing nicely. Today I managed to complete a shoert section on the northwest corner, with soil and plants and TRACK! Yeah, now I can get a good idea of what the completed system will look and function like. Lemme tell ya...

I'M LOVIN' IT !!

The greenery is a bit of Scotch Moss (Sagina subulata) and Pink Creeping Thyme (Thumus praecox).
I'd love to hear your thoughts.. and comments.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Would look good in my yard,Dave can we move things over i"ll help!

manfred Diel

G

·

hey! slow down! it's a hobby, not work...

looking good to my eyes.

you outdoor guys should reconsider. building indoortype layouts in the garden, there will be no difference anymore... ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

Really nice!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts