G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions?
What motor selection do I want to use in the lokprogrammer for the USAT engines?
And has anyone had success wiring the old smoke units directly to the 5v output of the 5xl? they are the older square ceramic wick style

Everything else has seemed pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Hi bigemike - I do DCC sound decoder conversions for customers' LGB locomotives using Massoth, ESU, LGB, Phoenix and Soundtraxx. I am going to install an ESU 5Xl into a customer's USAT F Diesel set but not until April or May, so I'll also need to figure out what Motor Setting to use. You could check with USAT folks in MA about the specs of their motors........give them the list of options shown in the LokProgrammer. And if you find out, please post it here on this forum.

·
Super Modulator
21,010 Posts
You should measure the current draw of the smoke units before trying to drive them directly from the decoder.

Otherwise use the existing regulator board and a relay to send track power to the regulator boards.

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi bigemike - I do DCC sound decoder conversions for customers' LGB locomotives using Massoth, ESU, LGB, Phoenix and Soundtraxx. I am going to install an ESU 5Xl into a customer's USAT F Diesel set but not until April or May, so I'll also need to figure out what Motor Setting to use. You could check with USAT folks in MA about the specs of their motors........give them the list of options shown in the LokProgrammer. And if you find out, please post it here on this forum.
I used the Buhler settings from page 64 of the loksound manual and it works perfectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts