G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea why I'm suddenly having to log in every morning when I open computer up?  I don't log out and I don't turn the computer off, but suddenly I have to login every morning.  It never used to do this, just in the last couple of days.

Becky

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Becky

Did you remember to check the Remember Login check box on the login screen, also when you're finished don't Log-out just close the browser.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did Steve.  All I do at night is click the little "x" in the corner and close the lid of my laptop.  The next morning when I go to check things I am suddenly having to log in.  We will see what happens in the morning.

Becky

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I find it usefull to cycle the power (leave it off for at least a minute) on the DSL modem and Wireless router, especially if things seem to be running slow.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Becky

If you're using MS/Internet Explorer there should be a Tools menu on the menu bar, on the Tools menu select & click the Internet Options, after the Internet Options property page displays, locate and click the Delete Files button, there's also a Delete Cookies button, and Clear History button. Use each one in sequence. When you're done click the OK button.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Becky

I was afraid you were going to say that, you just want to make me work. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif

I don't use FireFox, but in digging around I believe the following will get you what you desire.
[*]FireFox: Clearing Browser Cache [*]Browser Menu Bar [*]Or use CTRL+J [/list] [*]Tools Menu [*]Options [*]Advanced Tab [*]Cache Box [*]Clear Now Button [/list] [/list]

Hope that is of help

SteveC

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Becky, if you are using Firefox 2,0,0,11 it is slightly different to what Steve says above.

Tools/Options/Advanced/Network

then go to the Cache frame and set what you want to use or clear it..

I hope that helps if you are on V2..    :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to "Login" this morning.  Again!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif  I didn't have to the first few days of the new site.

I have found the "cache box" and have cleared it.  We will see what happens next.

Thanks Steve.  Sorry to make you work!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Becky

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Sorry to make you work!

Likely story, I know better though, it's just payback for the "web site thingy" /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HEHEHEHEHE/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif Steve, very funny!!!

And you helped me SOOOOOO much!!  You and Mikey both.  I am so grateful for what you both did to get me online and all the other stuff you have helped me with.

Thank you, thank you.

Now in the morning we will see if I have to log in again.  If so, I must have little gremlins at work!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

UPDATE:  Had to "Log In" this morning.  I've cleared cache and I rebooted.  Oh well.  Looks like I'll have to log in every morning and it is only in the morning, not later in the day or evening after not using computer for a while.

Becky

·
Super Modulator
21,245 Posts
Becky, I think you may be looking for the problem "backwards".

First a question, when you have to log in, is your user name and **** for password already in the box?

If so, it's a Firefox thing, I get the same thing on various sites from Firefox, so I got tired of it and went back to IE.

If not, then check to see if you have a program, or are doing something that is DELETING your cookie.

Are you running something like Norton that would do this for you?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Greg!!!

1.  When I log in, my user name and **** are already in the box.  This problem happens only overnight.  Not during the day when computer has been closed for the same number of hours as it is during the night.  So it is something happening at night.

2.  If it is a Firefox thing, why doesn't Jim have the same problem.? He is using Firefox.

3.  What could be deleting cookies?

4.  I'm not using Norton, I'm using AVG that you installed when you had my computer.

Now what?

Becky

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Anti-virus, spyware and anti-phishing software and the like, as well as "general clean-up" programs can sometimes delete the cookies.  You might have a program scheduled to run overnight to do this sort of thing.  Take a look at the Control Panel applet named "Scheduled Tasks" to see what, if anything, is listed to run.
Also look at the AVG setup parameters, it might also be doing it overnight (like at 3:00 AM or as soon as the computer is turned on afterward).  (I don't know AVG, so I can't say much more than to look around at whatever is its main program interface and look for "Configuration", or "Settings" type menu entries or tabs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem as Becky... am using IE with MSN. Prior to the 'change' I was always logged in, but, like her, after the change always had to log in every time I turned the computer off and then back on.

This went on for the first 8 days... since then it has worked fine, just like it used to. I changed nothing before, during or after.

The magic of electronics strikes again.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't changed a thing since the old MLS to the new MLS.  I don't turn the computer off.  I've changed nothing.  I stayed logged on before and right after the new change for a few days and then all of a sudden, I'm having to log in.

Becky

1 - 20 of 50 Posts