G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to build some log cars...for lack of a better description. I've seen reference to 'bunk' cars, but that doesn't turn up much in a search. I finally found Hartford Products who have some nice looking, if not pricey, kits. However, I have a lot more time than $ and would like to scratch build some. So, while I can find a lot of pictures, I haven't found any plans, blueprints, drawings, or even closeup pics. The style I like are those with main timber frame and the cross members over the trucks. The cross pieces either have a channel or are built up 'U' shaped. The appear to have movable chocks with the chain resting in the channel.....or so I think. The link and pin couplers are neat, and I found those on the Qzark site.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Bill,

There are several different styles of log carrying trucks: Bachmann and LGB sell some as well.

The magazine 'Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette' (NGSL)has had some plans in it, and on the web there is a down loadable index to them all.

A simple one has a freight truck, then add either a square piece if wood, or a fabricated inverted U shaped one to the top (using the truck pivot to fix it there). Two of these are joined together by a (rooster) pole. There can be either poles or triangular steel/iron pieces to keep the logs on the bunks assisted by chains.

Put into Goggle 'disconnected log trucks' and goto 'images', that should certainly start you off on ideas. You could also try 'log cars' in the MLS search system.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
A very good source of drawings for all sorts of rolling stock are the Train Shed Cyclopedias. They are derived from car builders cyclopedias. Another source might be back issues of the NG&SL Gasjet. There are a lot of interesting log cars and it seems like you could find some drawings some where. One thing I have learned about logging operations is that the more poorly financed or CHEAPO operators often used old wood framed flat cars with log bunks. The log buggies you are interested in would be easy to make and with link and pin couplers would add a lot of character to your operations.

J

·
Registered
Modeling Durango & Silverton RR
12 Posts
I have been looking and looking for plans to build wooden logging disconnect cars.... Anyone have an idea where i can find them?
I reached out to Ozark Miniatures about the Hartford k10 ... but they have not replied.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I have been looking and looking for plans to build wooden logging disconnect cars.... Anyone have an idea where i can find them?
I reached out to Ozark Miniatures about the Hartford k10 ... but they have not replied.
January 1996 Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette has plans for a really crude version. Let me know if you want me to print it as a PDF.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Bill or GScale, if you want to start with factory produced side frames check out Only Trains. I just ordered 3 pair of ARCHBAR, tentative delivery this Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Just using a pic, figure the back woods mechanics fashioned their own cars on what ever trucks were available, using the ingenuity of father Ephram. Bachmann 33" wheels and a plank for a back bone. Adhered a piece of plastic to the under side and added a nylon washer so they could pivot easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
BAck in the day Garden Railways magazine published plan sets for various pieces of rilling stock. I have modeled them in 3D CAD and generated new versions of those plan sets. Here is a link to the skeleton car. GR Plan Set 40

I am working on a set of bunk style cars but haven't completed them yet.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Cap'nBill, this doesn't have the measurements you were looking for, but it is very detailed, hope it helps. Also have one of a Skelton car if interested.
D4E6D40E-8092-4B77-887E-88C0D1483189.jpeg.f255710c81776b87c652924915a1796b.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts