G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to buy some Loctite 222 today for the counterweights on my Bachmann Connie and all I could find was the 242 kind. My question, will this be OK?
Fred

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
If I'm thinking right the 242 is a medium strength and should be fine. May want to work on the loco later on and you would not be able to remove screws as easily using the high strength. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Just use it very sparingly and it should work fine. 222 is about the weakest version and 242 is just a bit stronger. Use less of it by putting a drop on the screw and then use a tissue to blot most of it off. If you need to undo the screw later, you might need to heat the screwdriver tip to heat the screw to free it up. Aster says to use the 222 version but I could not find any so I built my Aster Mikes using 242 and blotting most of it away before inserting the screw and have had no trouble (YET!) undoing any screw... not even had to add heat to undo them, but sometimes I have had to apply a strong rotational pressure for a long time to get the screw to turn... just being very careful to not apply so much pressure to break the brass bolt/screw.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Technically 222 is intended for screws under 1/4". 242 is for screws between 1/4" and 3/4". I use 242 on everything and it works fine. After the parts set about 5 minutes, clean off any excess loctite that ozzes out. If the excess dries, it is really hard to clean it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts