G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am building an outdoor railroad in Florida. I have 2 LGB locomotives and I picked up some less expensive battery operated train sets on Ebay just to run when track power was a problem. One of the locomotives, Scientific Toy Train runs nicely on the LGB track however after a few times around it simply changes direction on it's own and backs up? There is a direction switch on the top of the boiler. Could the switch be bad? thinking about bypassing the switch. I believe it just reverses polarity. I realize it is a cheap train but I just can not afford to convert my LGB units right now. Anyone ever come across this before? Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Hello everyone, I am building an outdoor railroad in Florida. I have 2 LGB locomotives and I picked up some less expensive battery operated train sets on Ebay just to run when track power was a problem. One of the locomotives, Scientific Toy Train runs nicely on the LGB track however after a few times around it simply changes direction on it's own and backs up? There is a direction switch on the top of the boiler. Could the switch be bad? thinking about bypassing the switch. I believe it just reverses polarity.
What kind of switch is it?
It's possible that the vibrations of the moving loco affects a cheap switch.
You can certainly bypass it, but I would first try to secure the switch in position with a piece of tape if that is possible and run the loco again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of switch is it?
It's possible that the vibrations of the moving loco affects a cheap switch.
You can certainly bypass it, but I would first try to secure the switch in position with a piece of tape if that is possible and run the loco again.
It seems to be just a push button type. You push the switch and train changes direction.Thankyou for responding. Going to try to change switch. I will also take a video so you can see what I mean

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
It seems to be just a push button type. You push the switch and train changes direction.Thankyou for responding. Going to try to change switch. I will also take a video so you can see what I mean
Is the push button switch momentary or latching?
With a remote, if it can be used to change direction, I would assume the push button switch is momentary and there is a latching relay or such a type of device inside the loco that is controlled by the switch or the remote.
That could be the problem as well.
What is the make and model of the loco - i you look on line?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody, I'm assembling an open air railroad in Florida. I have 2 LGB trains and I got some more affordable battery worked train sets on Ebay just to run when track power was an issue. One of the trains, Logical Toy Train runs pleasantly on the LGB track anyway after a couple of times around it just takes a different path all alone and backs up? There is a bearing switch on the highest point of the heater. Might the switch at some point be awful? pondering bypassing the switch. I accept it simply turns around extremity. I understand it is a modest train however I simply can not bear to change over my LGB units at the present time. Anybody at any point run over this? Much obliged to you for your assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts