G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone do loco lining in the USA?

I received my factory lined Accucraft Peckett and it makes my RH Katie and Accucraft Sabrina look like plain Janes...
The cost of shipping round trip to the UK has become astronomical, so looking for someone on this side of the Pond.
Thanks for any help!

Click on thumbnail
Interior design Wood Curtain Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quick question. Do you run your steam locos inside? I’m not saying I have a problem with it. In fact, I would love to run my Mamod inside but the denatured alcohol I use to fire it is smelly. I don’t want to fume up the house even if it is safe. Also alcohol fires are tricky to deal with if spilled. I would assume your locos are butane/propane.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
IF you can't find anyone, you can always try yourself.
I painted this brass and copper loco, and then lined and decalled it.
The lines on the wheels and boiler bands were done with a lining pen, which is why they are not very good.
The more complicated lining was far beyond my abilities, so I had decals made up instead.
It's not perfect, but I am happy with it, and I can say that I did it myself.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone do loco lining in the USA?
I don't know of anybody, and have had several locos from the USA on my UK bench for such work. It can all be done with practice and the right equipment. See the Lilla article in the latest 16mm Today magazine for some inspiration. That first person could then be you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick question. Do you run your steam locos inside? I’m not saying I have a problem with it. In fact, I would love to run my Mamod inside but the denatured alcohol I use to fire it is smelly. I don’t want to fume up the house even if it is safe. Also alcohol fires are tricky to deal with if spilled. I would assume your locos are butane/propane.
Yes I run them indoors, and they are all butane fired. The layout is in 2 rooms, a small office room and a medium 12x14 ft bedroom. Each room has a ceiling fan and I turn them on along with opening a window to about fist high. I've also got a Carbon Monoxide detector in each room. At some operating sessions all 3 locos are running at once, haven't had a problem. The one time I did set off the CO alarm was during break in runs on blocks with the Sabrina, in the bedroom with door closed and no fan or window open (in the dead of winter). By the 5th fuel tank run it set off the alarm screeching. All I did was open the window about 6 inches, turn the ceiling fan on medium, and exited the room leaving the door closed. Within 5-6 minutes the alarm shut off and showed zero CO was present.

I wouldn't dare run an alcohol fired loco indoors, too easy for a spill over fire to go unnoticed and burn the house down! :oops:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes I run them indoors, and they are all butane fired. The layout is in 2 rooms, a small office room and a medium 12x14 ft bedroom. Each room has a ceiling fan and I turn them on along with opening a window to about fist high. I've also got a Carbon Monoxide detector in each room. At some operating sessions all 3 locos are running at once, haven't had a problem. The one time I did set off the CO alarm was during break in runs on blocks with the Sabrina, in the bedroom with door closed and no fan or window open (in the dead of winter). By the 5th fuel tank run it set off the alarm screeching. All I did was open the window about 6 inches, turn the ceiling fan on medium, and exited the room leaving the door closed. Within 5-6 minutes the alarm shut off and showed zero CO was present.

I wouldn't dare run an alcohol fired loco indoors, too easy for a spill over fire to go unnoticed and burn the house down! :oops:
I run mine on blocks indoors but I keep a close eye on it. I don’t have much track and I don’t have any rolling stock. The only time I ram it indoors was 5 feet away and on cold tile flooring. It was night and I don’t have any outdoor track set up. I don’t do that anymore though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have lined a RH Argyll using a lining pen, and like David, it wasn't perfect. I don't see any problem using decals, especially on the tanks of a live steamer that don't get as hot as the boiler.
I'm interested in finding these decals! All I can find for decals at UK dealers is straight line strips. NO fancy corner filigrees, NO curves, and NO double lines. Ditto for the striping tapes, nothing fancy available, and curves exceptionally hard to do. Plus the tape has a thickness to it that is visible and catches oil and dirt...

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Not too sure if you will find ready to go decal options or not.
For the Cardean (the blue loco) I drew up the shape of each decal needed to the correct size using a drafting software on my computer, with my line representing the middle of the decal line.
I then told my decal maker the width and colour of each decal, some were black/white/black, while others were just black and white, and he did the rest and made the decals.
Then it was just a matter of cutting out the decals and applying them, with a clear coat over to protect them.
David Leech

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info David.
Which decal maker do you use? Is it Circus City? I hear they are pretty expensive and you have to buy an entire sheet full.
I suppose that would work printing many straight lines in colors for a red engine and a green engine, then develop the corner shapes in appropriate colors. But how to plot the curves to go around cab side windows and cab spectacle windows? Then just apply the straight lines and overlay the Doric corners to cut and fit...
Jim Bruneau
Colorado Springs

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Hi Jim,
Because he is local to me, I use the Model Decal Depot.
As long as you can give Big Jon precise information, he does a great job.
You can't just say I want decals for a RH Katie, as he won't have a clue as to what you mean.
Price is relative to how much you need made, but on his web site he gives prices and it is probably a lot less that having someone line it professionally.
As far as getting all the shapes correct, if you have a drawing program of some sort on your computer, draw each shape out and print on paper.
Cut it out and do a trial fit, and keep trying until it's perfect, and then that's what you can send your decal maker.
Jon will then normally send proofs for you to check before the actual printing is done.
Good luck,
David Leech

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jim,
Because he is local to me, I use the Model Decal Depot.
As long as you can give Big Jon precise information, he does a great job.
You can't just say I want decals for a RH Katie, as he won't have a clue as to what you mean.
Price is relative to how much you need made, but on his web site he gives prices and it is probably a lot less that having someone line it professionally.
As far as getting all the shapes correct, if you have a drawing program of some sort on your computer, draw each shape out and print on paper.
Cut it out and do a trial fit, and keep trying until it's perfect, and then that's what you can send your decal maker.
Jon will then normally send proofs for you to check before the actual printing is done.
Good luck,
David Leech
Thanks for the info David

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A load more work though. You get what you pay for, and a proper lining job will never be subject to the traumas that anything "stuck on" will suffer on a live steam loco.
I wouldn't mind paying for a professional lining job, it is the time problems and extreme costs of a round trip across the Atlantic Ocean on top of the lining cost that bothers me. I'd be paying as much for the lining job as the new engine cost!
Bravo to Accucraft for providing the Peckett fully and nicely lined at a reasonable cost new!

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
the traumas that anything "stuck on" will suffer on a live steam loco.
I don't think there will be too many traumas, as the decals are on the external tanks that are not directly heated by the boiler. The trick is to get the surface very, very clean before you install them, and then seal it with clear UV matte afterwards.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts