G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad used to run within a few miles of our house. It was a shaky, marginal local line that ran passengers and freight into the 1960s. It ran mostly cast-off diesels that it operated in pairs. Its right of way is now a bike trail.

Our little line has several stations named after stations on the W&OD. I decided to try to make a crude approximation of W&OD # 56 (see below)

I could not find a good model of this engine in G scale and I don't have the skills to just make one. So I used an old LGB 2061 which had been given to my son a long time ago and had seen hard use at the hands of many kids. My goal wasn't to make a perfect copy; it was just to make older folks in the neighborhood who remembered th W&OD smile when they saw it. I didn't want to spend much money on this one as we're tightening the old belts around here.

So some Krylon navy blue, some inkjet sticker paper, some pactra tape and rub on letters, some weathering powders, and here it is:

I wanted to catch the spirit of the thing, but it seems like it looks MORE European now to me. I need to find a way to put lettering on the side, and add a front coupler, and figure out where to run the antenna.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I like it just as it is honestly. Yeah it's a bit european looking but not too bad. It's the details that stick out to me. to fix it some suggestions would be to remove the window visors and a few other molded on details that are strictly european. Maybe even tackle the stack shroud? Definitely redo the railings. Of course that would call for another repaint but I like it as is!

Chas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts