G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Seen that, not uncommon at all, theres even a Backhoe company that offers a model that has flanged guides like a highrailer so it can roll along the top of a hopper or gondola.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
lWonder how he got the backhoe turned around on top of the hopper??

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 04/09/2008 12:20 PM

Seen that, not uncommon at all, theres even a Backhoe company that offers a model that has flanged guides like a highrailer so it can roll along the top of a hopper or gondola.

Not UNcommon at all? What are you talking about? NEVER seen anything like that!  Remarkable pictures, indeed.

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
So in that JCB Digger video - Is that what you call a back hoe down?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

I liked the fireworks and the one backhoe going under the rest of them.

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By blackburn49 on 04/09/2008 1:01 PM
Posted By vsmith on 04/09/2008 12:20 PM

Not UNcommon at all? What are you talking about? NEVER seen anything like that!  Remarkable pictures, indeed.

I'll see if I can find a link to the company I saw, I'll have to ask about it on one of the railfan forums ;)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I think I saw something similar a few years ago, like 2003 or so.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
BAck in the mid 80's , I was working as a security guard at the KCP&L power plant along the Missouri river, there coal dump had caught fire and was shut down, so they brought in these backhoe's to unload the coal from the train. I didn't get to see how they got on top of the cars, so I am glad to see this post. Also notice the "CAT" stikercker on the tail boom. One of our sales reps had these pictures and was showing the to everyone. This is cool. Cliff

·
Registered
688 Posts
I see this alot at the coal docks, especially when the unloader is down. If you look in the second picture that vsmith posted you can see the special pads on the outriggers and the attachment right behind the front wheels that the backhoe is using to sit on the car.
I once saw a track hoe doing this w/o the guides they were just driving it along the car tops. Not sure how they got it up there though...
Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts