G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So where can I get a couple pounds of coal for modeling purposes, without traveling?
The only coal mine in Northern California is lost in antiquity besides being on 
private property.
Thanks for any help.
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
If you can wait until a summer time Thresher's (Steam Tractor) enthusiasts meet you can often find a chunk or two on the ground where they have spilled some.  Or, maybe go now to the park or Fairgrounds where these meets are held and look around on the ground (the tend to spill a lot!)

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Marty,

What is your location in N. California? You might try the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers in Sacramento or Golden Gate Live Steamers in Berkeley. Talk to some of the guys that own coal-fired locomotives and they would probably give you a couple of pounds of coal AND a ride. If you were closer to L. A. you could try Los Angeles Live Syteamers, my home club. Good luck.:D

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Rick, if you are just using the coal for modeling you can use fish tank charcoal.  I have seen  articles in different magazines that describe the use and have done it myself to satisfaction.  The charcoal will absorbe the adhesive more readily than coal.                     Nick Jr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts