G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the challenges with the bigger locos is that they don't fit in the sink and the tub is too low to the ground. So I built a wash rack. It's next to the garage where I store the trains (no cars) and also only 10 feet from the RR. The area is fenced on 3 sides so is out of sight. I ran hot water pipe for the hose connection instead of the typical cold faucet. Here's a shot of the set up, the table is about 36" off the ground, 40" long and 24" wide. I spray the loco with my favorite gunk remover..let it sit a few minutes...hot water hose down...and then let it dry in the sun.:) The guys who come to run especially like this feature.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
What a great detail to add to any active steaming bay. I'm curious though Larry. How much activity have the battery trains seen lately? :D

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I take it your locos are gas not meths/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gifa nice little extra would be an air line to blow dry the loco which is what I do with my 5" engine :)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Todd, not much in the electric end. I try to get the guys over once a month for that but the steam guys do once a week.
Great idea Tony...i do have an air compressor, so I'll run an air line to the wash rack too. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
My Aster P8 is Merths fired, but I've experienced no troubles from washing it down with plenty of water. Of course, you can't expect the wicks to dry in less than a day or two ;-)

However, what is your favourite "gunk remover"??? So far, I'm not satisfyed by my cleaning attempts... ;-(

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Extreme Simple Green Precision Equipment Degreaser found at Home Depot. I let the engine cool, spray liberally, let sit a couple of minutes (no scrubbing needed) and rinse down with distilled water. The results are very good and it returns the finish to its original satin finish with no residue. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hmm, interesting to see you use distilled water as trying to buy that here in the UK is like gold dust, all our suppliers in the DIY stores and Car accessorie shops only sell de-ironised water which is a No,No for boilers I have to use filtered rain water which we get plenty of here :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts