G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I had some problems
initially getting this video uploaded to YouTube (see the "Photography" forum for the "gory details"
), but FINALLY got it uploaded! 
  Here it is for your enjoyment... 

A few comments on what was going on
- I had just completed an RC install in my recently-acquired Accucraft Mich Cal # 2 Shay, but hadn't had a chance to really give her a good test run on RC (between out-of-town relatives over for the holidays
& recent NASTY
winter weather here!); the temperatures on Friday (which I happily had as a day off from work!
) finally got a bit over freezing (@ 39 degrees F.).  My Uncle Ray (who's always had an interest in the railroad
) was over visiting; so I asked him if he'd "volunteer" to engineer my other RC-controlled Shay (another Accucraft model, Mich-Cal #5, relettered as "Watuppa Railway" #5
).  This was TRUE "double-heading"
- we had to co-ordinate speed & direction on BOTH locomotives, which is the reason for all the verbal "Go-ahead-&-back-up!" instructions.
  Complicating things was the fact the I noticed the servo linkage on #5 was slightly out of adjustment
("Full throttle" on #5 really WASN'T!
), Ray was a "newbie engineer"
, & I had forgotten that I had "borrowed"
some of the lead fishing weights I normally use to weigh down the Aristo wedge plow to add a bit of weight to another locomotive - with the result that the plow was derailing FREQUENTLY (almost rolled over
off the "right-of-way" at one point!).  A convenient rock was then stuck aboard the Aristo plow at that point for additional weight (which succeeded in keeping it on the rails from then on!
).  My camera work is also quite a bit shakier than my usual standards
- due to the fact that I was simultaneously trying to keep my footing on ice & snow (& ESPECIALLY not re-injure the right knee I broke
about 5 years ago!), coach Ray as an "engineer", monitor boiler pressure & water levels in  BOTH
live steamers (I had to refuel BOTH locomotives as "Summit" - the high point of the mainline grade just past the Pola mine building, marked by the half-buried water crane), & operate the RC transmitter for Shay #2 in my left hand, with the Sony camcorder in my right! 
  (I think the final result was worth the effort, though!
).    

Tom

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Live Steam Snowlowing (Doubleheaded Shays!)

You're right, Snoq Pass, there is some sort of issue
with the YouTube embedding.

For some reason the embed works properly with Firefox; but I also tried accessing it from my iPhone 3G & am encountering problems.

Not sure whether the issue is with YouTube or MLS at this point.

Let me try it as a link: Bucking Snow with Live Steam 2009

Also I have a favor to ask the moderators or Shad - could you please edit the typo in the title/ (Should be "Snowplowing", not "snowlowing!
).

Tom

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

Tom
Plays fine for me with the original link.
That is really cool, no pun intended
Thanks for posting it.
Rick Marty

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts

Tom

The video worked fine for me using MS/Internet Explorer v7

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Nice video. Those Accucraft Shays are great little machines.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
NOTHING beats steam for power to do the job. Great video Tom. THX for posting. I'm STILL looking to get a 3-cylinder shay this year!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys!
Still not quite sure what's going on with YouTube
; the video won't play on my iPhone 3G, where all my other videos will.

- & Ray, here are the still photos you requested...

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Best plow video I've seen. Love the plumes from the two shays...and the engines actually sounding like they are really laboring under the load. Very nice. Now...if ya add an RC controlled whistle to one, you can really make it authentic next time. VERY COOL.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Tom,

Using Shays to plow is a great idea. Very cool video and stills. it was nice to have just the right amount of heavy, wet snow to challenge the engines - and engineers.

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts