G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loved things driven by steam ever since I was a kid with a little stationary steam engine. I remember my grandfather having a live steam locomotive when I was a kid, no one else in the family remembers it! The idea of building my own steam locomotive has been with me for a long time. When David Fletcher came out with the Mason Bogie Masterclass I knew that had to be the one. Fortunately for me he also made available the laser cut power bogie and valve gear.

This model of the Mason Bogie locomotive was built using plans drawn by David Fletcher and published on MyLargeScale.com. The plans were for the construction of an electric powered model and I modified them as necessary accommodate live steam operation. The engine has fully functional Walsharts valve gear.

The cylinders are 9/16 bore X 7/8 stroke with "D" valves and the engine runs at 20 to 40 PSI boiler pressure. The throttle and Johnson bar are radio controlled.
I procured parts from the following sources:

Boiler and gas tank: Roundhouse "Lady Anne"

Power bogie chassis and valve gear: laser cut stainless steel by David Fletcher

Drive wheels and bell rig: Jim Barron and Rich Shiffman

Main and side rods: Barry’s Big Trains

Rear bogie kit: Bronson Tate

Cab and cow catcher kits: Vance Bass

Decals: Stan Cedarleaf, Decal Design - David Fletcher.

Radio control: Spectrum DX6

All the rest of the model is fabricated using brass sheet and barstock.

All the kind words, help and encouragement from the great people on MLS have kept me going even when I felt like just giving up.

And with that here are the photos.

Something looks off in this veiw. The bell rig seems to not be level not sure if it is the photo or if I didn't get the boiler rotated exactly right. The smoke box front is obviously crooked but that is not a problem as it is simply held in place with a couple of spring tabs. I just didn't notice it was crooked before taking the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Masterful - absolute art in motion! Winn, I cant thank you enough for sharing this with us over the last couple of years - the workmanship is extraordinary. ..also the most extreme version of the Masterclass Mason yet!

Would you mind sending me some higher res images of the above direct to my email? I'm putting together the 3rd part on a series on Mason Bogies in narrow Gauge Down Under (magazine) and intend the 3rd part as a showcase of the Masons built during the class. Thus one needs to be shown!

Thanks Winn, and good luck with the competition..I sure hope you win! at least over some stock Bachmann Shay with too much rust added. Best of luck.

David.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David and Steve, Thanks for the kind words. David I could not have even thought doing this without your great Masterclass and your superb drawings. Could I send you a CD of the pictures? I have dial up internet and full res pictures take a very long time to upload. Either that or I could send one a day for several days. Let me know what you would prefer. Thanks again for all your help and support.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Thanks Winn,
The CD would be great. maybe drop in some of your in-construction photos too. Heck we could make a Pt4 to the series and just show this engine!

Drop me an email, and I'll send you my mailing address.

Thanks mate,
David.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Winn,

THAT'S A BEAUTY!!!

Congratulations, it has taken a long time which does not surprise me - they are in live stream a very complicated loco, the result is well worth all the effort that has gone into it. Best of luck at the Denver Convention I am sure that it will 'sweep the board'

Will you have it running or will it be static and running on compressed air?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Wynn,

That's one beautiful piece of work. I still have a ways to go before I complete my MB but at least now I know what colors and decals I'm going to use. Thanks for all your ideas and good luck in Denver.

Doc

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Winn,

Gasp, what a work of art. Your Mason Bogie is more than just a model, it has the form and function of art. Like David, Steve, and the others, I am truly in awe. Thank you most of all for sharing the work with us.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are all very kind, thank you for the kudos. I looked at the front of the loco this morning and it is indeed tilted. Looks like some of the boiler lagging is pinched between the upper and lower shells. The lower shell is attached to the frame and supports the boiler, the upper shell is held on by the boiler bands. So, I think the solution is to loosen the boiler bands, maybe cut out a little of the lagging and rotate the upper shell into position. Throughout the construction process I used thin cardboard for the lagging which is much easier to deal with than the Fiberfax. I'll try to get things straight today and post a new photo.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Without a doubt a master piece and we appreciate you sharing that excellent project which is very inspiring!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
WOW Win!! What a beauty. Cannot wait for a video of her under steam. This is a prizewinner for sure. Mine is still in pieces on the workbench. Too many projects.
Noel

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not impressed. I could build three of those in like uh three centuries so there!

(Beautiful loving careful work obviously!!!)

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are going to give me a swelled head! Thank you each and every one. Noel, you just got to get going. There probably won't be a steaming video for some time, for one thing I don't plan to fire her until after the Denver Convention as I don't want to take a chance on messing her up. Also I will have to get some one else to post the video since it takes too long on my dial-up. I got the crooked boiler fixed. It was pretty much as I suggested in my post this morning. Here is and updated photo.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Amazing work Winn. Really great looking locomotive. Im sure you are a shoe-in for the contest. I only hope that Accucraft comes close to what you had produced on a one off basis.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Winn, WOW....you deserve to have a swelled head that is an amazing, beautiful, work of art, when it is under steam it will truly be poetry in motion....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts