G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.  
Just curious if anyone has a recommendation for a 45mm gauge steam magazine.  I've heard of "steam in the garden," but I have not had a chance to pick up a copy.  Worth trying?  I've always been a Garden Railways reader, but now I think I want something a little more focused on steam.

I'm looking to read up on current reviews, steaming tips, scratchbuild projects, and steam-related advertisements.  

thanks in advance,
Jeff   

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Jeff,

Much depends on precisely your interest. The two I would reccomend are SITG and the G1MRA newsletter. A third would be either 16mm Today or the 16mm Society's magazine. A lot of what you find in any of these may not fit your particular scale but the info is still relevant and usable. ME and LS are both of interest but LS tends not to cover smaller scales much.

Jack

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I love SitG. Gave up on Garden Railways years ago.

You may also want to investigate Garden Rail, the UK publication. Although there is some sparky content, most of the engines are live steam, 45 or 32mm. You no longer have to deal with the currency issue as they have a US distributor now. Check them out at http://www.atlanticpublishers.com/gr/

SitG is focused exclusively on steam, and Ron does a great job bimonthly. Garden Rail is focused on the RR, with an emphasis on steam, and is published monthly. I find they complement each other well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jeff,

#1 Steam in the Garden, Garden Railways, and 16mm Today -- All have websites and some back issues. SitG is all steam, 16mm today is very steam-heavy, and GR you know about.

2. GardenRail has too much plastic and electric for me, but is very readable. Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review tends towards small electric mice, but nice ones. Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette is wonderful for inspiration.

3. VillagePress also publishes Home Shop Machinist, Machiist's Workshop, and Digital machinist -- These are outside my talent level but at least HSM often has steam-related articles.

4. Be sure to visit Marc Horovitz's Sidestreet Bannerworks site. I got greedy and printed off all 100+ "Live Steam Locomotive of the Month" articles, cause it is more fun to drool over paper than electrons.

Regards, Mike

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright! Thanks for the big response.

I think the general consensus is Steam in the Garden!
Is this magazine US-based? I was always under the impression that magazine was UK based... (my only concern is a lack of US-based advertisers)

I'm definitely minimizing the sparkies...and focusing on the steam now!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Steam In the Garden is published by Ron and Marie Brown in Newark Valley, NY. Subscription info is on their website www.steamup.info.
As a subscriber benefit you can be invited to their three day steamup in August where you'll see a wide variety of live steamers on 45 and 32mm gauges.
Have fun,
Tom

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I got invited for my good looks. Sorry, Tom, some have to subscribe to SitG for the invite!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts