G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been trying to find a company that sells a live steam crane,the only one that i found are the
car works ditcher an fine art models erie burkus crane that are elec,if there is a custom builder that builds them
or a company that sells them that woud be a big help,i have only seen a few people who have them,at shows
but not for sell,if anyone has any info,plans,a link to a company that would be a big help.

sincerly

Casey Wilmunder

my spelling is not the greatest

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Casey - there is not a company in England that builds them, but there is a MAN who builds them.  The demand for these models is not high, as you can imagine.

This one is electrically operated, but a steam-powered version is also possible - cost is around $13500 or so.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tac, is that pounds or dollars?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Yo Dan - $13500 approximately, as I wrote in my post.  You, being a rich Canadian-type of guy, are more than welcome to pay £13500, approximately, if you so desire.  ;)

That works out to about $27000 or so, give or take a gnat's f*rt.

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org  

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

i would be interseted if it was a american carne, but that is the only one that i have seen in  live steam,
the price is a little high but not bad,right now im thinking about making my own live steam crane,
also i was reading the heisler article and said john hadden builds heislers an ditchers is there a 
way to contact him.

sincerly
Casey ilmunder

my spelling is not the greatest.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dear Mr Wilmunder - I didn't make myself clear, that's for sure.  The gentleman who built Trevor's crane will build you anything you want, American or whatever, in return only for money.

I wouldn't have thought that the price would really matter that much to a man who has his own collection of full-size narrow gauge locomotives. 

It has also been mentioned that Mr Hadden is no longer in the business of building models.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I haven't seen Jim Hadden in a few years, but he does build beautiful cranes.  Here is a pic of him running one at the 2003 DH

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Tac im only 13 years old and my dad has the narrow gauge collection of westside lumbr co,ohua railway an land compny,s.f cable car,speaders
i own the porter that runs at ardenwood reginal park in fremont califor.i do like english locos,wagons,mow equp i have a 3/4 scale tich i have been 
working on for about two years,the price i was expecting because of no one building cranes in live steam,the person is thournby models corrct me 
if im wrong i do alot more than my age building an working on fullsize locomotives and working with 7 1/2 gauge ride on live steam,about 4 years
ago was when i got started in live steam with a ruby them from there i started scratch building my locomotives.

sincerly

Casey wilmunder

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Here is a link from the Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers web site.  It is a 15 second, 1.2 meg video file of Jims crane.  This video was taken at Diamondhead in 2005.  Enjoy.

Click HERE for the steam shovel link.

Also ran across the Steam Dragon video while I was searching.  It is just amazing and always fun to watch.

Click HERE for the Steam Dragon link.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Fred,
The links you included don't seem to open on my computer.
Bruce

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that most steamcranes were "one-offs". They seem to have been built to order. Unfortunately, I can't fint one of my favourites,  a Swedisch steamcrane around 1900. Three axle, looks very "homebrewed". There are sources that can be interpreted as if this crane even had self-propulsion along the track.

Anyway,  looking into the subject, I've concluded I really don't need a specific prototype. They all existed... :D" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/biggrin.gif" />

The picture I'm missing, makes me wonder if the crane actually  had it's own boiler. If there was one, it would haver been a minuscule stanbding ship type boiler. But why would it have it's own boiler?!? Connect it to a steam locomotive!

As for a suitable steamengine in 1:32, I've been looking at Lutz Hielscher, who offers matchbox size engines.

Looking back at my HO era in my early youth (I switched to gauge 1 when 13), operating the classic Maerklin HO crane, was as much fun as operating the rest of the layout!

Making an operational crane, I am convinced, is probably one of the most fun projects available!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Bruce,
  These files are not like YouTube.  They are not streaming videos.  The file should download to your computer first, then start playing.  Anyone else having a problem?

You can always right click and select 'copy link location', then paste that into your browser.  I know that the links are good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Posted By chooch on 03/23/2008 3:52 PM
Bruce,
  These files are not like YouTube.  They are not streaming videos.  The file should download to your computer first, then start playing.  Anyone else having a problem?

You can always right click and select 'copy link location', then paste that into your browser.  I know that the links are good.

I also had a problem with the videos when I tried with Internet Explorer 7, I just got a blank page, however I copied the URL from the address line and opened the FireFox browser and pasted the URL, and Bingo! there was the video.  I always get this problem with Quicktime movies in IE, even though I have Quicktime installed on the PC. Now I know what to do next time a Quicktime video refuses to play:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi

tac thank you for understanding about my age and what i do would the person 
that you said built the models of the cranes would be thournby.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Fred
Videos worked on my system and computer setup, thanks.  The steam shovel along with Jim's rotary are two of my favorite steam machines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts