G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Your stack base is a wonderful work-around. And, once figured out, it's wonderfully simple. Your finished piece looks great! Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The loco now has a face. Smoke box door is riveted to the hinges, the front skirt is attached and the buffer/buffer beam mounted. This buffer beam is L-shaped and bent forward, no idea why they did this. This is the current look:

The rear buffer/buffer beam is also mounted. Currently I am working on the cab:

The outline of cab and skirt parts have been cut on Dennis' CNC mill, the rivets marked on the back side with a center drill also under CNC control and then punched with a NWSL punch/die. The rear wall of the cab needs to be bent and then it can be soldered.
Regards

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Henner,
this is a work of art, Beautiful Craftsmanship! And yes please do tell how you machined the smokebox door.
Thanks for the kind words (Llyn, Bill, Poys and Scott). I start with a brass disk of oversize diameter/thickness and soft solder it to a brass bar. In the next step I turn it down to the correct diameter and length (thickness). I then use an Excel table, indexed by 0.002" (0.05mm) in x and start turning from the outside to a diameter (or travel) given by the table. Due to the setting of the x-axis you don't get lost in the table. Each cut only removes 0.002". You get very fine steps, which can be easily filed/sanded.This is how it looks like after turning:

Normally I use my radius attachment from Sherline for such an operation, but in this case the radius was far too big. Hope this helps.
This also works for a parabolic nose of a streamliner.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
It's been a while since I posted something on this forum. Well, last year I relocated back to my native Germany - getting older and wanting to be closer to family. It took some time to get my workshop back up running. But now everything is in place and I even purchased a nice CNC mill, small but very precise. My cog loco now has complete water/coal bunkers with lids, beads around the cab doors (sliced copper tubing courtesy of Bill Allen) and finally a fairly complicated dome:

The dome conceals a Goodall type feed valve and a doughnut shaped manifold to route the steam pipe around the filler valve. A screw-on cap keeps everything in place.
Regards

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Looks awesome Henner
I especially like the way the steam pipe goes through the dome and then goes around the Goodall valve all inside the small confines of the dome

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words. In fact, we already video taped a test run on my Fremont/CA layout (Posted here on June 15th 2019), climbing a 30% grade.
About the boiler: It is a very simple design like a Ruby and yes, I have drawings.How to send them, as I don't see a an E-mail capability?
Regards

41 - 53 of 53 Posts