G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well that's the bad one on the body.. The other cracks are easy welds,, but i might have to put some rebar in this big crack.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The new frame is complete. Here it is temporarily assembled.

Here is the height before with the old frame

Now with the New frame.

A little better.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
The metal frame will add plenty of weight for traction. Like it much better than my wood frame, beyond my capabilities.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I really don't like the black as much... but,, it would be SOOOO much easier to paint.
What do you think?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Frame 2.0 A little stronger. A little heavier.

This is as low as i can get it and still maintain a little rocking motion in the USA trains bogies.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I was able to repair the little LGB sound card. I had to reflow a couple of spots and run a trace at the potentiometer as one of the pins was broken, and the LGB speaker was not working for some reason. Anyway it works now.. and while it doesn't sound great... it's a definite plus being that it pays for the whole wreck and with the USA motor blocks I could of parted it out and profited by it... but. this is a challenge. ;)

·
Super Modulator
20,774 Posts
the prototype weighed 240,000 pounds. Since this is a 1:32, a scale weight would be 7.32 pounds, just FYI.... I see a fair amount of weight there. It should pull like nobody's business!

Greg

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have also found a GP9 which someone had dismantled but couldn't reassemble for dirt cheap on evil bay. The only part that was missing was one handrail post and perhaps some electronics, which I didn't want to use anyways. I redetailed it with scale size handrails and grabs, screwed the pilots to the body and kadees . Fitted it with NWSL wheelsets on the original Lionel 4 motor blocks. It works fine, but is a real ampere eater (draws near 4 amps) so I may remotor it with coreless motors. Right now I am using it to test the current distribution on my new layout as it is so greedy with the amps. It fits my theme as the most modern power as my modeling period terminates with the end of steam in 1957 on PRR and is 1/32 scale. The trucks are with an extended wheelbase of 9' rather than 8' but next to my MTH F3 its hardly noticeable. Since that photo I also placed the number boards flush into the recess.
Happy new year!
Simon

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I have also found a GP9 which someone had dismantled but couldn't reassemble for dirt cheap on evil bay. The only part that was missing was one handrail post and perhaps some electronics, which I didn't want to use anyways. I redetailed it with scale size handrails and grabs, screwed the pilots to the body and kadees . Fitted it with NWSL wheelsets on the original Lionel 4 motor blocks. It works fine, but is a real ampere eater (draws near 4 amps) so I may remotor it with coreless motors. Right now I am using it to test the current distribution on my new layout as it is so greedy with the amps. It fits my theme as the most modern power as my modeling period terminates with the end of steam in 1957 on PRR and is 1/32 scale. The trucks are with an extended wheelbase of 9' rather than 8' but next to my MTH F3 its hardly noticeable. Since that photo I also placed the number boards flush into the recess.
Happy new year!
Simon
Yep . And the carbon brushed pickups are also great for finding conductively problemed areas in the rail. I added wipers to mine in addition to the brushes.
They are great pullers though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
the prototype weighed 240,000 pounds. Since this is a 1:32, a scale weight would be 7.32 pounds, just FYI.... I see a fair amount of weight there. It should pull like nobody's business!

Greg
Yes indeed. Even so, its still a couple pounds lighter than the stock Lionel 4 motor engine.
Looking back at the original setup.. it had the Lionel 6 lb lead ballast and was set way too high and loosely on the USA blocks.
I bet it was that high center of gravity and loosely fitting blocks that lead to its toppling crash. but im guessing on that.

The wiring will be better when complete :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Ive finally narrowed it down to two Liveries to dress it in.. But i caan't make up my mind.
I really like the SF but i would have to fabricate a new tank.
The NS would be the easiest of all as i have that road number already and its black and it has the short hall tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since I do a lot of re-dues the hardest part of a re-due is finding the correct G scale decals. Microscale and other have just about discounted G scale decals, I know you can have them special made, but the cost is getting in the $50.00 range, which is not beyond my limit, but it is getting to where does commonsense stops and stupid starts. Being a modeler first and a train runner second it getting to the point where I have to pick my projects differently then what I did in the past, just because the cost does not out weigh the final results and personal satisfaction like it did at one time. All being said, I still have some pretty pricey re-dues.

trainman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Many times it might be easier to re-cover the old tank and make it larger with plastic then totally build a new one from scratch, thus the mounting places for the tank are still in place.

trainman

41 - 60 of 114 Posts